Best Artwork

Originally posted by Strangelight
A Fine Day To Exit is the best artwork and concept ever (except for stealing lyrics you bastards:mad: )

yeah i was pretty surprised when i read those alternative 4 quotes. especially when it's taken from song duncan wrote. how come this happened danny?

Originally posted by Strangelight

A Fine Day To Exit is the best artwork and concept ever (except for stealing lyrics you bastards:mad: )
which lyrics? aarggh i cant remember, never meant it though if it was on my songs..pretty sure john would never be arsed doing that either.

you mean on the artwork? i remember cringing a bit when i saw that. nothing to do with me...travis smith and vinny sorted it out so you'll have to ask them..

Black Sabbath's debut and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Early Budgie records - In For The Kill, Never Turn Your Back On A Friend, Bandolier
Alice Cooper - Schools Out and Billion Dollar Babies
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Dio - The Last In Line
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Iron Maiden - all up to Seventh Son
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Marillion - Script For A Jesters Tear
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Rush - Exit Stage Left

with the number one being Rainbow's Rising - a classic!

how about wish you were here, nevermind, masters of reality, the white album, led zep 4, reign in blood, faith hope love, loads of others as well

Originally posted by pagan2002
you mean on the artwork? i remember cringing a bit when i saw that. nothing to do with me...travis smith and vinny sorted it out so you'll have to ask them..

I emailed the boy Smith about it
:confused:
Just thought it was 'slightly' tactless. I gonna quote Elton John on our next booklet. I'll wait till I've stitched him up first hehe:lol:

Ninjaman- Booyakka Booyakka is the best album cover.

Yes, I have just been talking to duncan about this.
I had never thought this would be a problem. and i apologize to Duncan and Danny if it turned into one. The whole idea, in a way, was to make the lyrics and stuff scrawled and pained as if it was written by whomever was sitting in the car on the cover and in that frame of mind. After the lyrics were in we thought of just making a bunch of mad scrawls all over everything as if they were just written blind. some things obvious, and some things you had to look for. i also just made up as bunch of random passeages of my own and snuck them in as well. we thought of random things and then taking a few passages from the older stuff, as if he was possibly listening to and affected by the older songs and applying it to his situation. I guess the blame is mine as one of the things i love about anathema is they way certain things in their songs had affected me in certain moments so i was thinking that way, and just chose some of my personal favorite passages. They were not meant to be "lyrics" but maybe something that someone was thinking and i liked the way it tied into the past songs as if it were carried over.
at one point i even thought of having some of the older cds on the floor of the car in a photo with spilled beer or something. but decided not too. I had no knowlege of any problems in the band, and never asked as it's not my business, so i never considered anything like that happening.

so thats why i did it...you can blame me,.

so no harm intended, and sorry for any problems...

T

Originally posted by Seems like Trav
Yes, I have just been talking to duncan about this.
I had never thought this would be a problem. and i apologize to Duncan and Danny if it turned into one. The whole idea, in a way, was to make the lyrics and stuff scrawled and pained as if it was written by whomever was sitting in the car on the cover and in that frame of mind. After the lyrics were in we thought of just making a bunch of mad scrawls all over everything as if they were just written blind. some things obvious, and some things you had to look for. i also just made up as bunch of random passeages of my own and snuck them in as well. we thought of random things and then taking a few passages from the older stuff, as if he was possibly listening to and affected by the older songs and applying it to his situation. I guess the blame is mine as one of the things i love about anathema is they way certain things in their songs had affected me in certain moments so i was thinking that way, and just chose some of my personal favorite passages. They were not meant to be "lyrics" but maybe something that someone was thinking and i liked the way it tied into the past songs as if it were carried over.
at one point i even thought of having some of the older cds on the floor of the car in a photo with spilled beer or something. but decided not too. I had no knowlege of any problems in the band, and never asked as it's not my business, so i never considered anything like that happening.

so thats why i did it...you can blame me,.

so no harm intended, and sorry for any problems...

T

That's understandable...

To be honest, I actually thought the quotes were a nice touch- as if reflecting that there is a connection between Alt 4. and the new stuff. Not so much in sound, but in atmosphere. It's Anathema to the core.

I've always liked that about the booklet actually and thought it was quite clever!

But as to my favourite cover/inlay art,

Katatonia- Tonight's Decision (my all-time favourite album artwork).
The last 4 Anathema albums.
Saturnus- Martyre.
And the first 4 Darkthrone albums... (there's just something special about them).

and about a million others. It's one of many reasons why Mp3's can never be as good as c.ds.

Originally posted by Timmeth
Anything done by Travis Smith is great artwork...

i'll agree with you here, timmeth. the guy is a genius. his work on katatonia, opeth and anathema are amazing.

but so far, my favorite cover ever is anathema - alternative 4. i was blown away when i first saw it.