best bands ever

marginalé

why?
May 5, 2003
Belgium
Q: Which is biggest band of all time? A: And readers say...
Album sales, audience sizes and time spent in the charts combine to put the British foursome at the top
By Anthony Barnes, Arts and Media Correspondent
03 October 2004

They were famed for their 20-minute opuses and grandiose stadium shows featuring flying pigs. Now Pink Floyd have received an accolade to match the enormity of their sound and performances - by being named the biggest band of all time, ahead of acts such as Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones.

Writers for Q magazine have compiled a top 50 of what they reckon to be the music world's biggest groups, placing Pink Floyd - the band whose Dark Side of the Moon album is estimated to be owned by one in every 18 Americans - at the top of the chart.

The Beatles, on the other hand, manage just eighth place, despite their huge sales, behind arch rivals the Rolling Stones and even Dire Straits.

The magazine sized up each band's performance with a points system that measured sales of their biggest album, the scale of their biggest headlining show and the total number of weeks spent on the UK album chart. Difficulties in finding accurate and reliable figures mean it is virtually impossible to compare on total album sales alone.

Pink Floyd, the quartet that began life as a group of psychedelic space cadets playing in London's underground clubs before developing its defining, epic sound, triumphed with sales of 23.3 million for the 1979 album The Wall. That figure could be dwarfed by 1973'sDark Side of the Moon, but there are huge holes in sales records for that release which spent 14 years in the US Billboard chart. The largest live show - 125,000 at Knebworth Park in 1975 - and 911 weeks in the UK charts consolidated their position at the top.

Q editor Paul Rees said: "I must say I suspected it might have been Queen at number one, but then when you think of the huge sales of The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon it would have to be Pink Floyd. If you look at the top 10 you would expect those bands to be in there. It's slightly more surprising that the champagne corks are popping for bands such as Erasure (ranked 47) and Hootie & the Blowfish (40). I was genuinely stunned to see them in there."

Led Zeppelin, the masters of heavy blues, were runners-up thanks to their trump card of 22 million sales of their untitled fourth album. The Rolling Stones finished third, buoyed in the list by the half-million-strong crowd at their Hyde Park show in 1969.

Radio 2 presenter Bob Harris said Pink Floyd owed their success to the multimedia approach. "I'm lucky enough to have been there almost at the start in the days of the UFO club and Middle Earth. The interesting thing was this idea of pushing the boundaries," he said. "They made sure they came on stage with visuals and liquid light shows and took great care with their artwork. There was a conscious decision to expand and experiment. They were one of the first bands to do tracks that last more than two and a half minutes."

The full list of the top 50 bands will be published in the November edition of Q.

THE TOP 50

The top 50 bands of all time compiled by Q based on album sales, weeks in the UK album chart and the scale of the biggest headlining gigs.

1) Pink Floyd

2) Led Zeppelin

3) Rolling Stones

4) U2

5) Queen

6) Dire Straits

7) Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

8) The Beatles

9) Bob Marley and the Wailers

10) Fleetwood Mac

11) The Eagles

12) The Beach Boys

13) Oasis

14) Bon Jovi

15) Guns N' Roses

16) Nirvana

17) Genesis

18) Bee Gees

19) Metallica

20) Boston

21) R.E.M.

22) Backstreet Boys

23) Red Hot Chili Peppers

24) AC/DC

25) The Police

26) Steve Miller Band

27) ABBA

28) Santana

29) Simply Red

30) Supertramp

31) The Carpenters

32) Journey

33) Spice Girls

34) Def Leppard

35) Deep Purple

36) UB40

37) Aerosmith

38) Wham!

39) Pearl Jam

40) Hootie & the Blowfish

41) Status Quo

42) Simple Minds

43) Wet Wet Wet

44) 'N Sync

45) Eurythmics

46) Duran Duran

47) Erasure

48) The Shadows

49) Boyz II Men

50) Van Halen

album sales is only commercial success it doesn't mean real success ;)
although few bands from this list are really SPECIAL and They created real music miracles ;)

Bon Jovi is probably among my 10 fav groups to this day, have you ever even listened to one of their older albums full length?

Nice to see Boston onthere too, there's hope.

nick cave said it best in a posh way

"I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN OF THE OPINION THAT MY MUSIC IS UNIQUE AND INDIVIDUAL AND EXISTS BEYOND THE REALMS INHABITED BY THOSE WHO WOULD REDUCE THINGS TO MERE MEASURING. I AM IN COMPETITION WITH NO-ONE.

MY RELATIONSHIP WITH MY MUSE IS A DELICATE ONE AT THE BEST OF TIMES AND I FEEL THAT IT IS MY DUTY TO PROTECT HER FROM INFLUENCES THAT MAY OFFEND HER FRAGILE NATURE.

SHE COMES TO ME WITH THE GIFT OF SONG AND IN RETURN I TREAT HER WITH THE RESPECT I FEEL SHE DESERVES - IN THIS CASE THIS MEANS NOT SUBJECTING HER TO THE INDIGNITIES OF JUDGEMENT AND COMPETITION. MY MUSE IS NOT A HORSE AND I AM IN NO HORSE RACE AND IF INDEED SHE WAS, STILL I WOULD NOT HARNESS HER TO THIS TUMBREL - THIS BLOODY CART OF SEVERED HEADS AND GLITTERING PRIZES. MY MUSE MAY SPOOK! MAY BOLT! MAY ABANDON ME COMPLETELY!"

I saw this documentry about Nick Cave, where he basically said he got up every day and went to the office to write music, and that he considered it a job above anything else.

Ah well...

yeah he also spent a good deal of his life on heroine and stuff, So now that hes nearly fifty i think he can go off and write music 9 to 5 with a clear conscience

marginalé said:
Because of the bands that Maren quoted. A list based on commercial success means basically nothing. I mean it's got nothing to do with the quality of the bands. Sure Pink Floyd and Zeppelin might deserve the first places, but as someone else already noticed, where are bands like Sabbath?

Bambi said:
yeah he also spent a good deal of his life on heroine and stuff, So now that hes nearly fifty i think he can go off and write music 9 to 5 with a clear conscience

I bet this makes him a hero.

snow2fall said:
Then why do you call music other than "yours" cack??
Dont go blaming me for the hole ye dug yourself. Im not the issue here :)

you shouldnt go getting all snobby about good clean entertainers like JBJ, People in glass houses and whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander etc etc

Anyways I didnt say anything other than the music i like is cack. I said the stuff you listen to is cack. Subtle difference *:) *