best bang-for-the-buck LDC??

Well what kind of logic is that?

"Hey, I've got $25k for a new family sedan, should I get an Accord or Camry? Which is the best bang for the buck?"
"Audi A6 4.2 FSI"
"Yes, but that's utterly out of my price range, how does that help me?"
"Well it's great bang for the buck compared to a Bentley!"

:loco:

No, but he said "somewhat cheapish" and mentioned the NT2-A, which is a $400 mic (EDIT: and AT4033, and B1)

Wink-798910.jpg

:D

And FWIW, AT4033 definitely gets my vote, but if you can't quite swing it the Studio Projects C1 is supposed to be a fantastic value for its price as well!

AT4040 has worked for me in ANY situation I've put it in. Vocals, guitar amps, acoustics, room mic for drums, snare mic (not if the drummer is a hard hitter though)

CAD M179 is also good for vocals and amazing on toms. Expect it would be good on acoustics/room mics/overheads too.

hey,

sorry for not responding to my own thread for some time - busy week with the job...

anyways, so it seems to be between the studio projects B1, rode NT1A/2A, or the AT 4033.

would anyone be able to describe the differences between these??

i'm looking for a mic that's more on the bright side if anything....NOT looking for something dark, basically.
clarity is another more important point (obviously)

this will be mainly for recording cookie monster metal vocals....maybe some female clean vox, too. acoustic guitar would be more like an "Option" if anything.

any ideas?
i'd like to order one on monday-ish if possible...

if you want bright and clear, 4033 is totally fucking win

that's why i use it more than my NT-2A...the rode is very warm/silky/round/etc. sounding, where the 4033 is extremely present/crisp/in your face

Compared to Neumann U87 you get better bang for the buck :)

FWIW, i put my 4033 and NT-2A over a steinway D a couple years back along with a U87 and C414-ULS

the 4033 and U87 tracks were stupid close to each other - both in their output and their overall tone

if you want bright and clear, 4033 is totally fucking win

that's why i use it more than my NT-2A...the rode is very warm/silky/round/etc. sounding, where the 4033 is extremely present/crisp/in your face

Interesting, from my experience with the NT1-A that's the exact opposite of what I would expect; either the NT2-A differs from the NT1-A in more than just available polar patterns, or the 4033 manages to be even brighter! :yow: (however, I do know that according to the frequency charts, the 4033 isn't quite as bright as the 4040, which from all I've heard about the latter is a good thing!)

alright, so it's between the at4033 and the nt-1A as far as i am concerned.

considering the price difference, is the 4033 worth the extra cash??

Both mics are very good in their respective class. I have owned a Rode NT1a and a friend of mine swears by the 4033. The 4033 is not a special character mic, but rather a "transparent" mic and is claimed to be an all around good studio work horse of a mic. I personally found nothing exciting about that particular mic, but it is a good mic. For the price, I'd go with an Nt1a, where it has supposedly a transparent mic, however after using it you will learn it's character, as with all mics. The NT1a is a bright mic and the only downfall I would have to say about it, is that if you anyone else who has a sibilance problem, the NT1a will kindly show you just how sibilant you *really* are, meaning that it does nothing to hide sibilance. However, for the money the NT1a is a VERY good mic and you really can't go wrong with either purchase. If it were me, I'd get the Rode, and use the extra cash to pair it up with a nice character pre, such as the Studio Projects VTB-1 or a M-Audio DMP3, depending on your application, or perhaps use the xtra cash to score a FMR RNC. You might also want to consider the Studio Projects C1 or the sE electronics 2200a. Or check out ADK S-7, Vienna or Hamburg, or if you have a few extra bucks you can throw at it, the ADK TC ($600 USD) is an AMAZING mic for it's price range plus it's bright and has a very U87(ish) character in the top end where it has a nice whispy airy sound to it. Just my .02