Need to pick a mic for vocals + n00b questions

GhostUnholy

Aug 16, 2007
warning, n00b alert

Hey guys I need to buy a decent condenser for doing vocals/acoustics (and if possible maybe recording my piano on some demos, have no idea about this)

budget is up to 600$, preferable less, looking for good bang for the buck basically

what i saw recommended for clean/acoustics at harmony central (I know what you guys think of HC :p) were:

AT4040/4050/4060
Oktavamod 319 w/ premium electronics

and everyone seems to recommend the sm7b for screaming etc.

my situation is i have only the built in presonus firestudio preamps, and an untreated 8x10 rectangular room...

on that note, for recording vox
could I load up the room with blankets on the walls and stuff in my 8x10 room and track with an condenser of some kind so i dont have to worry about the low input gain on the presonus pres? or should they be enough for a dynamic like the sm7b. Also, with AT or the oktavamod, would I be able to record the harsh vocals with the same mic?

last question, i can rent an AT4033 at a local store, if i rent it to try out will this give me a good representation of the quality i can expect from the higher AT4000 series models? for that matter, could i just buy the 7b for harsh and rent the AT for cutting some clean vox/acoustic for now, or just do everything with that?

I have a demo with harsh vox done with sm58 and they sucked, i'll post that up later tonight once i can manage to upload it and maybe you guys can tell me what we did so wrong.

I'd get an AT4040. I'm about to buy one myself and people seem to rave about them for all vocal applications. Pick that up for now and get an SM7B later down the road when you have the money to be able to buy a different mic for each specific vocal style... There are people on here who prefer using condensers for harsh vocals over the SM7B, so you should be safe with the AT4040. Maybe use the extra cash to pick up a pair of Studio Projects C4s or something to use for stereo micing an acoustic and also as overheads.

Adam, I know it's a bit more money (well, twice as much :lol: ), but I'm planning on getting an AT4050, and I'd suggest you do the same - after trying out M/S recording, I REALLY want a multi-polar pattern LDC.

I might just do that then, thanks for the rec
Has anyone had any experience with the oktavamods though? I know people at the HC recording forum seem to get off to them but i haven't even ever heard anyone else mention them.

I was wondering if the SE 2200A is any good It got good reviews on a magazine and the net too, anyone has any experience with this mic?

However now I'm intrigued with that AT2050 SM.