Best Black Sabbath vocalist/era?

Vera Gemini

Jan 22, 2013
Brighton, UK
I have to say that without doubt, both the Dio and Tony Martin era are my favourites. I much prefer the melodic and powerful voices of both vocalists, not to mention that the general change in musical style is more appealing for both.

I do appreciate the Ozzy era though, as it created doom metal, it was the era of the band I discovered first and it's enjoyable in a completely different way to anything after it. I have to say though, that Ozzy's vocals are very average and not at all that interesting musically. The band certainly never NEEDED him, that's for sure.

I really wish Tony Martin could have come back and done vocals instead for the new album, although of course that would never have happened :(

Basically I'm with you on this one.

If Dio hadn't passed away, we were not hearing of a reunion and Shozzy demands and Bill tantrums and all that jazz.

To me it's kind of Dio > Martin > Ozzy > Gillan, with some shuffling between Martin and Ozzy depending on the mood (and trying not to think about "Forbidden" :yuk:)

I don't count Hughes as to me "Seventh Star" (great album) is a solo Iommi effort, the BS moniker was an imposition of the label at the time.

One thing for sure, they are the kind of band that have not only an undeniable place in metal history, but also to bring heated discussions in forums like this ;)

If we're talking individual vocalists, sure I'd go with Dio. But material-wise they never topped the first 6 albums, IMO. (Though I'm a fan of all the eras.)
I also absolutely believe Ozzy was necessary to that early material to come out the way it did. As mentioned above; he sang with the music, which really allowed the riffs to stand front and center both from a songwriting and a performance perspective.

The Dio records are amazing, but...

For my money, there are few bands that have had a run of albums that equal the Ozzy period. The six albums from the debut through Sabotage are the gold standard for heavy metal. It's easy to let all the odd and sometimes tacky things that have happened since (Like the Ozzy reality show etc.) tarnish that somehow. But standing alone, in a vacuum, that stuff is amazing.

That said, I'd call the Dio era one of the best, 'new singer in a classic band,' transitions ever.

Oh, and let's not forget Ian Gillan. Born Again stands as a unique, spooky, heavy gem in the Sabbath discography.

I love both Martin and Dio's vocals equally (in the studio) but I give Ronnie era the edge as far as quality material cover to cover and Tony the edge as simply having the most quality material. I respect the other vocalists, but Martin and Dio era find their way onto my playlist more than others.
My three year-old daughter loves "Iron Man" though. She ignores the vocals though. She loves the guitar riff for some reason...... not that it isn't catchy.

Bryant

The Dio era hands down, followed by the Martin era (minus Forbidden), then the Gillan disc. I respect the classic stuff with Ozzy, the band litterally invented heavy metal music, and I enjoyed this stuff a lot back in the day. But I never play these old albums anymore, while still regularly listen to the Dio, Martin and Gillan discs.

So sad that Dio is gone, or we'd be talking about the 2nd Heaven & Hell disc now, instead of a new original line-up album. Wait, Bill Ward is missing (such a shame), so it's not really the original line-up. That being said, with the studio magic to correct Ozzy's voice, I'm still very curious about that new album. Could be very good.

Musically, I like the Ozzy and Dio eras equally but Dio wins in the vocal department though. That said, I always liked Ozzy as a singer. Technically, he's not "great" but I appreciate his uniqueness and the fact that he sings with a lot of feeling, especially on Sabotage. Born Again was a great album too as Ian Gillan never sounded so evil like he did on Disturbing the Priest. The rest I don't delve into as much. Although I dig Headless Cross, I always found Tony Martin to be lacking in some way.

Musically, Although I dig Headless Cross, I always found Tony Martin to be lacking in some way.

You might want to see if you can come up with a few songs from this Italian guitarist called Misha Calvin. His Evolution I disc features several tracks sang by Tony Martin. It is sort of a "hair metal" type style....... well not hair metal exactly, more like Odyssey era Yngwie type groove. It isn't what you would expect from Tony, but it works for him well. I am a fanof Martin Sabbath, but I find this to be just as good, though certainly different.

Bryant

You might want to see if you can come up with a few songs from this Italian guitarist called Misha Calvin. His Evolution I disc features several tracks sang by Tony Martin. It is sort of a "hair metal" type style....... well not hair metal exactly, more like Odyssey era Yngwie type groove. It isn't what you would expect from Tony, but it works for him well. I am a fanof Martin Sabbath, but I find this to be just as good, though certainly different.

Bryant

I'd like to clarify. Technically, he's a great singer but he lacks character and a certain level of feel that makes all the difference for me. I think he has his moments though.

Bryant

The Mollo/Martin Cage albums are where it's at. At least the first two albums. The 3rd one was pretty weak.