• Battalions of Fear (1988)

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Follow the Blind (1989)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tales from the Twilight World (1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhere Far Beyond (1992)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Imaginations from the Other Side (1995)

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Nightfall in Middle-Earth (1998)

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • A Night at the Opera (2002)

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • A Twist in the Myth (2006)

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll go with Imaginations.....not a huge BG fan but that gets the most spins of the ones i've got...the others being A Twist in the Myth, Somewhere Far Beyond and A Night at the Opera.

Dave its ur old theory of "first album you hear ends up being ur fave" but its totally Somewhere far Beyond for me. All the BG hallmarks without the overblown wankiness and 500,000 overdubs.

I'd say A Night At The Opera for sure only because Dreamland Manor isn't on the list ;). Nightfall is pretty good but let down by a combination of poor production and a disgraceful filler/'thematic'/bullshit-to-quality ratio.

Yeah, it's interesting that it was brought up that the first disc you hear is generally your favourite, but I can't deny my fav' one is Somewhere Far Beyond and that was the first BG album I heard too. That to me has the perfect balance of their aggressive earlier thrash roots but with the massive layered vocals and epic songs they really started to get into on Imaginations.

A close second would be Imaginations followed very closely by Tales From The Twilight World.

I think they really lost a lot of what made me shit my pants initially when I heard them after Imaginations. It was too much, too overblown, and really lost the aggression they once had.

Imaginations followed somewhat closely by Somewhere Far Beyond. Can't recall which album I heard originally as I think I started listening to a bunch all at once. And Then There Was Silence is my favorite song though. Imaginations just has more songs I like overall than any of the other disk.

A Night at the Opera, although Imaginations... isn't far behind.

And Then There Was Silence is an absolutely phenomenal track.

This is exactly how i felt. Also what LT said about the first album you hear is usually more heart-felt than a lot of the others. It's happened with me hearing A Night At The Opera in regards to BG and Braven New World being the first Maiden album I ever heard. Both remain my favourites and very close to my heart. Imaginations is a top bloody album though. I love Tales so much as well! NiME! Nearly every BG album is tops for myself!

Yeah, it's interesting that it was brought up that the first disc you hear is generally your favourite, but I can't deny my fav' one is Somewhere Far Beyond and that was the first BG album I heard too.

That was the first BG album i heard and thought it was shit :lol: i didn't give them the benefit of another chance for at least 2-3 years....still don't rate it that highly either.