Best cheap mics for toms

CAD M179's.

Seriously, they're the shit. Easily as good as 421's (if not better) but a lot easier to position you could buy 2 of them for the price of one 421.

There's an audio sample comparison here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...c-shootout-m179-re20-421-57-sm7-sm81-bbb.html You can really feel the depth of the tom sound with the M179 compared to the others used.

Beat me to it! I still use 604s myself, but I've heard nothing but great reviews of the 179s. I've yet to see bad press from anyone and they're being touted over 421s.

Sometimes I find it annoying to make all the tom mikes sound similar as they have a different response, but I like the Audix D series packs, DP Elite 8 is awesome but costly, put Audix D6 on all toms if you can afford it...and if not...

make friends with a guitar center employee.

57s do rock though.

Speaking strictly of floor toms, what would you guys recommend? Right now I'm between the D4 and the Beta 52, though there's always the Sennheiser e602/e902 (what's the difference between these two, if the price difference is only $30? If the 9 is supposed to be better than the 6, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't go for it...). And I've used a D112 at school extensively, and really don't like it, so that's out.

And I should mention that I'd probably wanna use it on a bass cab as well.

make friends with a guitar center employee.
:lol::lol:
Impossible.

@Metaltastic

A gooood buddy of mine who also happens to be a phenomenal drummer/producer recommended me strongly the Beta 52. I have yet to try it out but he was die hard with it as being a great mic for kick/floor toms and bass cabs as well. Check it out.