Best COB solos (opinion)

HateCrewDeathroll

Child Of Symphony
Nov 12, 2002
Alexi Laiho (guitar) - Kissing The Shadows
Janne Warmen (keyboard) - Children Of Bodom
Jaska Raatikainen (drums) - Bodom After Midnight (intro)
Henkka Blacksmith (bass) - Hatebreeder (before the guitar solo)

Guitarz - Deadnight Warrior, KTS, Aces High
Keyboard - Bed of Razors, hmm...
Drums - Bodom after midnight, Deadnight Warrior (intros)
Bass - Err.. In the shadows

oh, and the guitar solos in Don't stop at the top are fucking amazing!

one of my favorite solo spots in a Bodom song....is at the end of the song Hatebreeder...where its the Alexi and Janne going back and forth...mmmmm...it just is amazing IMO...

does Ale ever play solos?
anyway from Alexi i'd say all of them... the guy soloes constantly on all the songs, even while he sings... amazing!

from Janne, i simply don't know... but he just amazes me in every solo, he's goddamn fast!

from the rest, they don't really play solos do they?

Just so you guys know, Henkka has never done anything close to a solo (except once, see below) and Jaska definitely hasn't... -I- could play the intros to Deadnight Warrior and Bodom After Midnight with minimal practice and I've -never- played drums before... they are extremely simple. The deadnight warrior intro has nothing to it other than fast double bass... he only hits the toms three times, then some cymbals... and Bodom After Midnight's intro isn't fast at all.

And Alexi and Ale played that secret keyboard song... Janne himself confirmed this...

Anyway so my opinion:
Alexi - You're Better Off Dead
Janne - You're Better Off Dead

They go so fast in YBOD it boggles the mind... faster than ever before... and I really like their new soloing style, even though I didn't like it much on first listen.

EDIT: The closest thing to a solo I've heard Henkka do is right before Hate Me!'s first solo... he starts at the bottom string and goes up (technically he goes down) in a scale that sounds really fast, and then Alexi does it after for the solo (maybe the same scale?).

Henkka has a few solos. The thing in Hate Me! is nothing compared to the classical part in Black Widow. That is really cool. Also, if you listen closely, right before the guitar solo in Hatebreeder, Henkka has a faint solo. Another would include the part in downfall. (hard to explain which part) Children Of Bodom has a bass solo but it's hard to hear.

Intro to Warheart and In The Shadows has bass only.

Um if you want to consider those solos whatever... and the thing in Hate Me! is way, way harder to play than the thing in Black Widow... which also isn't a solo. Henkka just doesn't do solos, he does little things occasionly but it's part of the song...

A solo is supposed to be something that is played by itself or out of the ordinary of the riff. If the bass does that, I consider it a solo. Plus, Henkka doesn't get enough credit so just let him get recognition for once, eh?

Originally posted by Koujo
one of my favorite solo spots in a Bodom song....is at the end of the song Hatebreeder...where its the Alexi and Janne going back and forth...mmmmm...it just is amazing IMO...

I know what you mean. That part is awsome! But my favorite everything is from "Mask of Sanity"