Best discoveries in the past year?

Pull The Plug

Defending The Throne
May 28, 2004
Aussieland
Alright, I haven't checked here or any other metal forum (apart from a random post or two for those of you keeping score) in probably over a year now so i'm pretty behind on what people have been discovering and recovering from the past.

I've just been buying new albums of bands I already know (Behemoth, Mithras, Pantheon I etc..) but haven't found out what the latest up and coming bands, overlooked classic bands or just plain awesome albums have been in the past year.

Can I please get some recommendations (preferably from the older, more 'experienced' members) on what to check out?

Cheers!:kickass:

I don't know about the 'latest' or 'greatest', but I like your thread title, so I'm going to reply with the bands I'm most pleased with discovering for myself this year.

Korpiklaani
Kyprian's Circle
Nomans Land
Taunusheim
Twin Obscenity
XIV Dark Centuries
Mirzadeh
Mustan Kuun Lapset
Ajattara
Horna
Falconer

I love Ajattara, that's probably my top discovery for the year, I love every one of their albums... Apare is kind of weak but it has it's moments...Other stuff:

Necrophobic
Hordak
Flametal
Fall of the Leafe
Arghoslent
Bolt Thrower...only recently got into death metal

some bands that people have been raving about in the past year:

Drudkh (black metal)
Deathspell Omega (black metal)
Mael Mordha (folk/trad doom)
Anti (black metal)
Warning (trad doom)
Asphyx (old school death metal)
Evocation (old school dm)
Hellwitch (old school dm)
Repugnant (old school dm)
Mordicus (old school dm)
old school dm in general

I didn't really mention any power, prog, etc. because I tend not to pay attention to those recs, as I don't really listen to that stuff.