Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Hellhammer (Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem)

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Joey Jordison (Slipknot, Korn)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Axe (opeth)

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
Its a pretty horrific choice. From it I would have to go for Axe, saw Opeth live last week and he was just completely incediary, some absolutely tasty fills and he grooved all night.

People have already mentioned but Sean Reinhert and Mario Duplantier definately need to be up there. Both these guys blow me away.

I think u need to hear at least more Arcturus , Winds, and Covenant's Nexus Polaris. He's far from a 'one-dimensional' style.

Considering I have heard all of those bands, the only thing he can do (or, the only thing he ever does in studio) is play extremely fast.

ok understandable that you think Slipknot sucks, but Joey Jordison is actually one creative motherfucker when it comes to playing drums. Obviously not the best, but he is decent

He's a great player, but I don't see him being better than any of the above drummers.

Mathiäs;7821709 said:
He's a great player, but I don't see him being better than any of the above drummers.

Oh for sure, but if he would play in some black metal band or something other than slipknot, I can see some pretty awesome shit :p

Suck ass list. More choices so I don't have to vote portnoy (best of those).

Where's adrian erlandsson, gene hoglan, thomas haake or jaska raatikainen and maybe dani löble?

I've seen Roddy play non-metal. The guy is a great drummer.

You're immature. There's nothing wrong with those videos. Sure, he doesn't blink and he's reading off a card somewhat awkwardly. It's not funny though.

Dude, Derek Roddy is the Rusty Cooley of drumming. Sure he's fast & clean, but there's no substance behind his death metal drumming.

MoL, watch the video of him drumming. His cymbal hits early in the video are ridiculous & sound like shit. I've actually seen slightly better videos of him playing & of course the guy is good, but he's hardly anything to get your panties in a bunch over comparable to inventive drummers.

Sean Reinert, Chris Pennie and Tomas Haake leave everyone on that list for dead.

Great drummers. Better than many of the guys mentioned.

WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING / :zombie:

What I meant to say was that I've heard a lot of people who hate Dream Theater say that Portnoy is a great drummer. My friend hates the band, yet he loves Portnoy's drumming. He has a creativity that is rarely matched I believe.

I'm not familiar with his drumming, I've yet to check out Spastic Ink.

Bobby Jarzombek is a phenomenal drummer, & Spastic Ink's "Compatible" is probably one of my favorite albums. I don't like "Complete" quite as much, although it's more experimental. That one is just too wanky sometimes.

Check out Charlie Zeleny's drumming on Blotted Science if you haven't already. Very pumping bass drums on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
just because he plays in a shitty band doesn't mean he can't play well... then again i've never analyzed a slipknot song closely enough to judge that.

Some of the best musicians are in shitty mainstream bands. Michael Jackson usually got great musicians in his band. The drummer from Nickleback, Daniel Adair, is a phenomenal drummer that also plays with guitar virtuoso Dave Martone.

That being said, I've watched a few Jordison videos & he looks like a pretty boring drummer to me, but I'm not an expert on his drumming. My friend is a great drummer who mostly plays jazz & he seems to respect Jordison, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Man those are absolutely rubbish poll options! I've always thought that Joey was just average, there are shit loads of black and death metal drummers that can play what he plays, he really doesn't deserve all the praise that he gets but he's certainly not a bad drummer at all. Anywho Virgil Donati gets my vote for best metal drummer, Bobby Jarzombek and Marco Minnemann are also kick ass.