Best Gigs you have been to in 2002

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior
ManOwaR
KINGS OF METAL! HAIL AND KILL!
Hmmm. Like Hammerfall, Manowar seem have forgotten to add a UK date to their forthcoming tour. Perhaps it slipped their mind...

On English ground we were born
Proudly we return to English shores

Not since 1994 you haven't, Joey! I had to fly to Sweden to see them last time. Good as they were, I don't know if I can afford another trip abroad (at least, not until the Blind Guardian festival next year, anyway :)

Controvesy time.... I saw Manowar in Cologne just over a week ago. I was eagerly awaiting this and after it I was left feeling what all the fuss was about them. My friend and I agreed that it was probably one of the worst gigs we have been to all year, it was boring, they did 4 acoustics songs back to back and the stage show for all the hype wasn't that good. We weren't the only ones that thought so, we were talking to a guy who said he had seen them earlier in the tour and they were much better.

Well, with four acoustic songs back to back I guess it stands to reason :( sounds a bit like how their new album works, a few heavy songs at the beginning and end with a great big mellow patch in the middle. Doesn't work for me, sadly. Was one of them acoustic songs Master Of The Wind? Regardless of anything else, I think that song is beautiful and would love to hear it anywhere in a set :)

Originally posted by Wooks
I saw Manowar in Cologne just over a week ago. I was eagerly awaiting this and after it I was left feeling what all the fuss was about them.
That doesn't entirely surprise me. For a long time, if pushed to choose my favourite band, it would have been Manowar. But not only is their latest album not as good as previous efforts, it's actively weak. It's easily the worst thing they've ever recorded, so while I'd like to have seen a UK date on the tour, I'm not as disappointed as I might have been. The first time I saw them, at Hammersmith Odeon (as it still was in those days) probably ranks in the top three concerts I've seen in my life. But given how poor "Warriors of the world" was, I can't see them being able to reproduce such a stunning live experience these days.

Along with Dragonmaiden I ventured to Newcastle's Trillians on Saturday to see the Tygers Of Pan Tang. It was a typical pub gig, free entry, packed out, mixed audience. The band went down very well and it was a pleasing performance. I think the new album should be pretty good and one song especially (Lisa will know remember the name of it) seems very promising. I also think Ritchie Wicks will do a fine job as Rogue's replacement in Shadow Keep. I think Tygers will be doing a full UK tour and possibly doing Europe next year along with OD Saxon.

On the whole it was a very good night (not up to Gamma Ray or Freedom Call standard :lol:) and probably made my top 6 gigs for the year (top 6 is very good)

HI there!!

Well there have been a number of great shows this year I’ve been too:

Kamalot + Axxis, Bloodstock 02, Dio, Lacuna Coil + Sentenced, Doro, Sinergy and Alice Cooper twice!!!

And 2003 there is already the Stratovarius show with Thunderstone and then the ultimate show with Nightwish headliners for Bloodstock 03!!! (my fave group!!!) :loco:

~ Paul

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kingdomofthefifthangel/

Hello there Fifthangel!
You've seen Kamelot live this year? What do you think of their performance then? I've heard that they isn't good live..but I don't know..never seen them..yet :)
Welcome to the board btw!

HI there Weekend Warrior!!
I can tell you that Kamelot were totally awesome live!!!!! Khan has a great voice and is a cool frontman!! These guys would be great at the Bloodstock event for sure ~ take it from me, Kamelot are a great band to see live!!!
Hope all is well with you in Norway! Do you know what is happening with The Sins Of Thy Beloved?

~ Paul

Hey Symphony!

Would be good to see you guys there at Bloodstock too!
I have tried to log on to the Power Quest website yet each time it quits out of my Internet Explorer - I can get the homepage but clicking on anything else quits out the programme!! - is anyone else been saying about any problems??
I have ordered your CD Wings of Forever but the funny thing is I have had to get it on import!!! wierdness or what?!! Looking forward to hearing Power Quest though!!!

~ Paul