Best Guitarist / Bassist That Handles Lead Vocals As Well?

Brian May doesn't do LEAD vocals does he? I'm no real expert on him though, so I may well be wrong.

Are you talking about his solo stuff, or stuff within Queen?

As much as I hate to say it...James Hetfield...back in the day.
Dave Mustaine
Peter Tatgren (sp?)

I'm talking about stage presence as well...if you just stand there and sing and play, as difficult as it is, it's still boring

I believe you're forgetting someone... :) VORTEX from Dimmu Borgir and Borknagar's older days. Incredible vocalist and he plays damn good bass lines. on guitar, I'd say Alexi Laiho for sure. I've never seen someone basically soloing and singing at the same time and he's badass at it. for drums... Morgan Rose of Sevendust (I think he's quite a talent even if he isn't recognized often for it).

James Hetfield is actually really good... oh wait, was.
I agree with Brain May too, that man is amazing.
Ihsahn
Tom Araya
Mikael ÅkerfeldtDave Mustaine
Geddy Lee

Those are all great.

Daniel Gildenlow - Pain of Salvation
Mikael Akerfeldt - Opeth
Ihsahn - Emporer
Devin Townsend - DTB
...And a host of others...

A lot of people are mentioning Alexi Laiho. You are wrong, because the post is asking who best handles vocals and guitar. Laiho is a stellar guitar player, but he's not up there on the wail/growl list, and half of Bodom's lyrics have difficulty making sense. Therefore, my choice for best guitarist/vocalist would be Mustaine, and my choice for best bassist/vocalist is a tie between Tom Araya and Les Claypool. Geddy Lee is a distant third because, though he can wail, he can't play bass as nearly well as Araya or Claypool.
Here's another suggestion, though: Hansi Kirsch from Blind Guardian.

heh, you're wrong about Laiho; he's got badass vocals. :)

he's a gift to power metal because CoB retains all the power metal qualities of a good power metal band AND he managed to stay away from the wailing 80's vocals. I think his vocals are great. oh, and one more guitarist/singer I'd like to throw in is Galder from Old Man's Child.

I wouldn't say Laiho's vocals are shitty, but they are definitely nowhere close to the best. Don't get me wrong, though, Bodom is one of my all-time favourite bands. You're absolutely right about Galder from Old Man's Child, and now Dimmu Borgir. Dimmu's got a stellar lineup with him and Vortex as superb at both their instruments and at singing. Should Shagrath feel threatened, I wonder... :dopey: