Best guitarist in metal

I don't get why people say Zakk Wylde or Dave Mustaine are great guitarists.....I mean they're good, but not great. All they are is speed. Just compare Marty's solos on RIP to Dave's....there's no comparison.

As far as style goes though, I would have to say Spitz. Nobody can match him when it comes to individuality.

#1_Droogie said:
I don't get why people say Zakk Wylde or Dave Mustaine are great guitarists.....I mean they're good, but not great. All they are is speed. Just compare Marty's solos on RIP to Dave's....there's no comparison.

As far as style goes though, I would have to say Spitz. Nobody can match him when it comes to individuality.

its all personaly choice everyone hears something diff when they listen to or are inspired,for eg stave vai and joe satriani know there fucking shit but i would take a zakk wylde riff or lead or a dimebag riff or lead way before i considered them as a personal favourite,the thing about zakk and dimebag more so is they play from the heart and it really comes across for me,not just some expert shredder who wouldnt even know that emotion can be miles better than just perfect scales at a million miles an hour,i could go on and on and on...

Zakk Wylde is my most favourite guitarist, fucking distinctive, fucking sound...no one plays really like him.

I´ve got a thing for Carl August Tidemann (Arcturus, Winds), but since I´m not a musician what the hell do I know?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMP840
Zakk mothafucking Wylde, hands down. He can play anything and it sounds great

Whiplash402 said:
i used to be in that stage..u have gotta open ur eyes to other guitarists man

To be honest, i have only gotten into Zakk in the past two years or so. I may be young but i know "my" music My top guitarists: Jeff Hanneman, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde, Dave Mustaine"old shit". To me,these guys are music to my ears

I have lots, more then I could ever recall in one sitting

Petrucci
Chuck Sholdner (pardon my spelling btw)
Skolnic
Friedman
Of corse, Dime, rip
And I know it is a stretch, but I say EVH was a major inspiration for metal as we knew it in the 80's/early 90's. His concept of playing was picked up by so many.

Randy fuckin rhoads of course!!! He had an even cooler sound than eddie van halen in my book and he really incorporated his classical knowledge into heavier stylings of music. Just listen to fuckin Diary of a Madman or Revelation(Mother Earth) Cant forget Believer as one of his best songs too. This man definitely had his own sound/style. Too bad his time came so early... he was only getting better! Check out ozzy tribute for some of the most badass emotional playing ever!

James Hetfield too, he is the master at songwriting, and can play rhythm with the best of them. :headbang:

ok i know this dude aint metal but i just smoked a bowl so give me a break but roy clark i know you bastards gonna laugh dudes got skill lol

for sheer technical ability micheal romeo is a god.
for playing from the heart and having distinctive sheer immense sounds Dime and zakk do it for me....

But the 2 guitarists who showed me how genius riffs can be(south of heaven!!) and how fast and insane solos can be are: jeff Hanneman and Alexi Laiho from Bodom (going to see them in january!!)

Right now I would have to say Zakk Wylde, maybe because I just saw BLS Friday night. Fucking Zakk is the man!!!!!

#1_Droogie said:
I'm going to go with Tommy T. Baron (Coroner)
his later solos were mind blowing. and his riffs....out of this world.

Jeff Loomis is up there too, definately up there

Dude, fuckin A right - Tommy T Baron was INCREDIBLE. It's a shame Coroner never got as much exposure/attention as they really deserved. I've always wished I could play "Masked Jackal" as fast as they do.

I'm going to have to say:

Tommy Baron
Chuck Schuldiner
Glenn Tipton
Max Cavalera (because early Sepultura had awesome song writing/structure and he played with only 4 strings on his guitar)
and I'm not sure... there's a couple others that I can't think of right now.