Best guitarplayer?

AlexanderVR

Thrasher
Jul 24, 2007
Lebbeke, Belgium
Who do you think is the best guitarplayer?
Make a top 3 or something.

For me: (though in no specific order)

Kerry King: even though some of his solo's are quite "chaotic", his technique is awesome. My favorite solo is the one he plays in War Ensemble. (After Tom screams "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR")

Alex Skolnik: A very good guitarplayer, if not the best. Killer solo's. I saw him playing on the DVD of Testament in London and I got blown away by his skills.

Ol (Evile): This is not to flatter him (or to get free tickets and beer, for that matter), but I really really really like his solo's. The ones in the Hell Demo were fucking great. There's a reason I put his video on my Myspace. Count me in as a loyal Evile-fan. ;-)

Of course there are plenty of other very good guitarplayers: Kirk Hammet, Ian Scott, Jeff Hanneman, Dimebag, Andreas Kisser, ... but I just took my 3 favorite.

Michael Romeo (Symphony X) - if you haven't heard these guys and think KK is good, prepare to weep into your shoes....

Jason Becker (Cacophony/Jason Becker) - probably THE best player ever. no shit... check out the 'Serenna' (could be Serrena) arpeggios vid on PooPube

Paul Gilbert (Racer X) - Can't beat his alternate picking technique...

:)

This is going to be hard....
I will not judge on technical skill but on writing a solo abilities and phrasing.

Marty Friedman: amazing phrasing, amazing improvisations, amazing solos... Tornado of Souls - Megadeth says it all.

Jason Becker: part of the best guitar duo ever. Although (my opinion) not as good of a solo writer as Marty.. his technical skills play circles around anyone for the age when he could still play. Perpetual Burn is a classic guitar album every guitarist HAS to own.

I can't really say who I would save the last spot for.. there are so many great guitarists.. Jari Mäenpää of Wintersun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQX440uvEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP9Jads-o8s&mode=related&search=

Alex Skolnick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RIk53Atmw

Kiko Loureiro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Ju5OX80Fc

Doug Aldrich:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBhp_3CSIgE&mode=related&search=

Steve Vai: 'nuff said

Devin Townsend, Buckethead, Lee Altus, Paulo Gilbertoooo, Michael Romeo, Dimebag, Jeff Loomis, Muhammed Suicmez...... uh so many.. i seriously can't decide..

Jari Mäenpää
Dave Mustaine
Jeff Waters

Unlike in the other thread im actually just going to name 3, although there are alot more than i think deserve to be on the list.. I agree with Harris about Jason Becker, he is an excellant guitarist. Marty Friedman aswel.

I have a hard time picking a top three, but here's some of my favourites:

Dimebag, cos he just knows how to write a riff, and even though his solos aren't necessarily the best, you can tell when he's playing lead instantly

Steve Vai, because he treats the guitar like an extension of his body

Joe Satriani, becuse he's like Steve Vai only a bit more chilled out

Wes Borland. Yes, yes, I know Limp Bizkit sucked and all but he's just got a way about his playing that I've not seen before. Go build yourself a 4 string guitar like he did, learn to play Stalemate and then come back and tell me he sucks. Plus, that's one funny fucker right there

Mick Thompson, because he's just everything a guitarist should be

Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman, their leads may be a bit weak, but they can write some fucking killer riffs!

Michael Angelo Baito, just for being excessive, over the top and mental

Herman Li and Sam Totman, because they're funny, cheesey bastards and they know how to rock, despite the fact that they're coming up with all these shit bastards like Trivium and Bullet For My Valentine who wouldn't know a good time if it kicked them in the face (just read last year's Total Guitar Magazine Summit)

Gary Rossington, Allen Collins and Ed King. No explanation needed.

Pat O'Brien - Cannibal Corpse's guitarist. Such sick amazing riffs. And some crazy badass solos. :D

Dave Murray/Adrian Smith/Janick Gers - The Maiden trio. These guys are amazing guitarists. Dave and Adrian without each other wouldn't be the same.

Christopher Bradley - Beneath the Massacre. Hardly anyone would have heard of him. But I love his playing. Brutal, fast, chaotic and able to think of many riffs for one song. Beneath the Massacre make my jaw drop :eek:

Herman Li and Sam Totman, because they're funny, cheesey bastards and they know how to rock, despite the fact that they're coming up with all these shit bastards like Trivium

Personally, i think Matt Heafy and Corey Beaulieu are much better guitarists than Herman Li and Sam Totman.

I wouldn't be able to comment on that one, I don't listen to Trivium enough. The only song I know offhand is Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr, and that's hardly the tightest song in the world. Besides, being a guitarist isn't justa bout playing guitar, you gotta kick ass while you're doing it, and fewer people carry a bigger torch than Dragonforce in that respect (in my eyes anyway)

Marcel Coenen

Gaz Baldi (from tangaroa)

Vogg - Decapitated... no seriously he is just sillly good. Everytime I see him live, I can't believe the just confidence and immensity of his speed and riffing. Not to mention his solos. In a deathmetal band who have one guitarist where it was originally based on two guitars, he does pretty fucking well to fill up the empty space on his own.