Best Horror Films (In the Spirit of All Hallows)

BlueSky

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2006
1. The Shining

Pure Horror: Halloween (original), Black Christmas (original), & Session 9.

Horror Comedy: An American Werewolf in London and Drag Me to Hell.

Thrillers: Alien/Aliens, The Thing, & 28 Days/ Weeks Later.

Dishonorable mentions :puke::
Saw franchise, Hostel franchise, Hollywood Japanese remakes, Rob Zombie films, Mockumentaries (Blair Witch/ Paranormal Activity), & 99.9% of modern horror films. Horror is just not what it used to be ... :(

It's all mixed up (horror, zombie, gore...)

Amityville, Let's Scare Jessica To Death, Suspiria, Buio Omega, Calvaire, Deep Red, Burnt Offerings, The Beyond, City Of The Living Dead, House By The Cemetary, Martin, Inferno, Tenebre, Driller Killer, Silent Night Bloody Night, Just Before Dawn, Eaten Alive, Three On A Meathook, Mountain Of The Cannibal God, Sacrifice!, I Drink Your Blood, Two Thousand Maniacs, Gruesome Twosome, Blood Feast, A Lizard In A Woman's Skin, Don't Torture A Duckling, Zombie, Session 9, Night/Dawn/Day Of the Dead,Cannibal Ferox, Cannibal Holocaust and so many moreeeeeeee...

You can pretty much get anything from Fulci and Argento and never go wrong.

dont know if you consider them horror, but i salute Hitchcock in light of considering the genre: the birds, psycho, vertigo, etc (north by northwest i say)

psycho
Evil dead
Evil dead 2
Dawn of the dead
return of the living dead :kickass:
Hellraiser
Nightmare on elm street
Friday the 13th

those are my favorites, at least ones i can think of right now, i know theres a lot of honorable mentions (lol return of the living dead 2, 3 and many more)

While not really a horror film I put myself through that Begotten movie the katas used for the Sounds of Decay LP and while not scary as such it disturbed me no end.

Also Cube.

dont know if you consider them horror, but i salute Hitchcock in light of considering the genre: the birds, psycho, vertigo, etc (north by northwest i say)

I was thinking of those ones too, specially Vertigo, which I really like.

I'd like to add The Exorcist and The Omen.

It's a shame horror movies are not what they used to be, as BlueSky said.

REDRUM REDRUM REDRUM!

*Spoilers

After Psycho, your entire movie can't ride on the whole multiple personality twist. High Tension, Identity, Secret Window, Hide and Seek, & The Mechanist, I'm looking directly at you. :eek:

what about momento? i think you can, you just gotta be innovative in how you do it.

Memento isn't about multiple personality at all, nor is it a twist that the entire movie rides on.

The entire multiple personality plot device is no different from a dream sequence. It's considered extremely poor story telling, and especially so if it's used at the very end to explain all the inexplicable occurrences throughout the entire movie. It was novel when Hitchcock did it, but certainly not anymore. Too many psychological thrillers unfortunately ride on Hitchcock's coattails. The films I mentioned are all guilty of this. Same could be said about Lost Highway and Session 9 I suppose, but at least they're not as hackney as the others and certainly more thought provoking.

I disagree, but i wasnt talking about the main charactar at all, his condition is simply how the driving force behind the plot

spoilers**

its all the other charactars in the movie that, as you pro/regress through the events of the movie, show that their intention or personality is completly different than what you would excpect given the information that you got in the previous act, to me its a modern take on that hitchcock style. not to mention the whole "Remember Sammy Jenkens" reveal at the end was, to me similar to Bates "mother" though if i remember correctly that part was left to speculation.

also that game Heavy Rain i think did a good job of the personality twist without sacrificing storytelling ability, and it pretty much was an interactive movie

*Spoilers

Memento gives you Leonard's condition right off the bat. The big shocker is how his wife actually survived the home invasion, that he already killed his wife's attacker, and he was in fact the one who killed his wife. The chronology and fashion that information is given is not Hitchcockian at all, nor does Hitchcock have the corner on plot twist market like you're implying. Plot twists have been in literature well before he was born. Your comparison doesn't make much sense.

Heavy Rain has nothing to do with a multiple personality twist either, but I'm sure you've got some bizarre explanation why you think so, as usual. What you should use is Fight Club as an example.

i love horror and suspense.

i grew up with carpenter's halloween, the fog, the thing. even dark star had a dark twist to it.

children of the corn was nice. only the first one, of course. i think i was 6 or 7 when i saw it. the main theme is great. i remember that some diabolical masquerade track had a similar theme and i asked blakkheim about it... he confirmed it, although it was probably subconscious thing :D

hellraiser and hellraiser 2 were great too.

i loved the first nightmare on elm street... the sequel was a bit of a letdown... the third one, dream warriors was better. never saw the 4th one, don't know why. 5th and 6th were crap.

argento is special. there is something in inferno, deep red, suspiria... not only a plot, but the way he handles camera, scenography, the vivid colours etc.

is phantasm the same movie same as phenomena? some of them had different titles (italian vs. english), as deep red is also known as proffondo rosso.

the lost boys is one of my fav teen movies. loved kiefer sutherland there. too bad vampire imagery went totally fag these days with all the twilight bullshit.

maybe not horror per se, but i love lynch. especially mullholland dr, lost highway and blue velvet.

a little OT: there's an interview with steven wilson (promoting fear of a blank planet) in which he raves about lynch's inland empire ;)

haven't seen phantasm! have to watch it now ;)

agree on inland empire... although thorugh all the mess i noticed it had some elements of all his previous movies, would you agree?

can't find the song for the diabolical masquerade/children of the corn reference, dammit.

ha, found it!

thiz ghoultimate omen 0.06-0.24
children of the corn main theme, watch the theme starts at 0.12, but the reference is more obvious at 0.27

i haven't listened to nightwork for so long...

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to agree with BlueSky that there are no good horrors made in the last 15 years or so.

there are couple of good ones but they are far from masterpieces.

i liked scream as a half-parody, return to the lets-kill-teenagers stuff (and a hommage to carpenter's halloween and other slashers). plus i had a crush on neve campbell at that time after seeing the movie ;)

argento's sleepless (2001) was good as far as i remember - fans of his early work would surely enjoy it.

wolf creek (2005) is australian film i believe. nice watch if the psychopathic killer stuff is your thing.

really can't recall others that stood out of the hollywood fancy modern shit. japanese had a couple of good ones though...

i just saw romero is doing a remake of deep red. who knows, might be interesting.

Argento peaked with Susperia and then after that it gets iffy. I decided not to watch anything after Phenomena, which was prolly for the best. Then last night I watched Opera out of boredom and my god it's hard to watch these horror masters all burn out so badly. They need to give up the ghost and move on. Fo realz.

Deep Red held up well so I don't see the need for a remake, but then again that's Hollywood for you.

hahaha yeah once youve seen stuff like the 6th sense, pyscho and stuff, it gets generally less shocking each time

heavy rain was pretty good, i didnt see the ending coming, which was good enough for me, the bad guy turned out to be the one guy i didnt really suspect, but i also see your point bluesky

saw the human centipede last night.........theres a movie i dont think ill be able to suspect :lol: