hey chromatose, can I get a croon in the name of dvd woes?

mReEtTaIlRsEkD

New Metal Member
Oct 4, 2002
Price_Scream.jpg

while in the midst of a giant gay hug of joy?

This is from newsarama:

VINCENT PRICE: MGM SCREAM LEGENDS COLLECTION (MGM) (8 DVDs)
• The Abominable Dr. Phibes
• Dr. Phibes Rises Again
• Madhouse
• Tales of Terror
• Theater of Blood
• Twice Told Tales
• Vincent Price Disc of Horrors
• Witchfinder General

THE FLY COLLECTION (Fox) (4 DVDs)

Halloween is just around the corner, and who better to usher in my second favorite holiday of all time than that true master of the macabre, Vincent Price.

Now MGM has thrown us a rather tasty treat in collecting a number of the films he did for American Independent. The earlier films, ranging from Tales of Terror through the Phibes films are what you will truly want. Tales (1962) is one of Roger Corman’s many adaptations of the shorts of Edgar Allan Poe, specifically the shorts “The Black Cat,” “A Cask of Almontillado,” and “The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar.” It featured a solid supporting cast in the likes of Peter Lorre and Peter Cushing, but what really sells this film is the tight script adaptation by Richard Matheson, who took full advantage of the gothic elements of Poe’s work and milked them for all they were worth.

The same could not quite be said of the sequel, Twice Told Tales. Gone were the Poe tales for his contemporary/colleague/rival Nathaniel Hawthorne. Also gone are Cushing and Lorre, being replaced by the likes of Sebastian Cabot. So are Corman and Matheson. While Price himself is up to each and every role he plays in these three shorts, the rest of the film comes off as workmanlike when compared to Tales.

Still, Price would hit his peak with the Phibes films and Theater of Blood. In the first two, Price pushed goth horror to its absolute limit with this particularly manic creation. The particular gem is Dr. Phibes Rises Again, where the mad undead doctor goes to Egypt to recreate some of the most grisly murders ever committed in the early 1970s. As for Theater, this film was a personal Price favorite, where Shakespeare and a number of theater critics get butchered in the most unsettling ways. It didn’t hurt that he had the future Dame Diana Rigg adding some deliciously dangerous class to the film either.

As it turns out, the last two films in this collection were not favorites of Price. He found them, well, too violent. Still, both Madhouse and Witchfinder have their moments. The final disk, which adds an incredible amount of depth to the history of the man and his films, rounds out this set magnificently.

For the record, the Fly collection represented here is the original series of films in which Price starred in two, not the equally chilling remakes developed by David Cronenberg. The first actually starred David Hedison (later Captain Crane of Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea) as a scientist who’s experimenting in teleportation goes notoriously wrong. Price plays Hedison’s suffering brother Francois, who must try to get to the bottom of what happened. As it turns out, Price’s Francois must come to the rescue one more time in Return of the Fly. This time it’s Hedison’s son, Phillipe (Brett Halsey), who sports the gigantic head. What’s amazing is the sequel holds up quite well when compared to the original. Both were solid sci-fi horror films, and this in a time before Price became the prince of panic.

Still, the real treat is the inclusion of the third film in the franchise, The Curse of the Fly. Shot six years after Return, what this low budget British offering lacked in the absence of Price, it made up with some truly grotesque monsters and plausible acting from a cast that included B-movie veteran Brian Donlevy. It’s a truly creepy movie no matter how you look at it.

What’s fascinating is the last disk included in the series. It not only includes a Biography special on Price, but also a serious examination of the entire series. No matter how you look at it, this is a great set of films about science going too far and well worth having in its own right.

I ordered that from amazon a couple days ago. I think I have most of those on DVD somewhere, but fuck it. It's a convenient collection.

Was Phibes still even in print prior to this? I went shopping for it a while back and had a difficult time actually finding anything.

all things considered it's a damn good deal sometimes.
forty bucks for seven movies? not bad at all. you usually pay about 20 for each double set, and even that is pretty decent a price, I found.

ALSO
I saw EVERY episode of TNG in a giant box set! ... was 400$, but even that's not too bad for a seven season show! normally a single TNG season can run you 100$-ish.