Best live vocal mic.

I work in a theatre and we get a load of different mics through the doors and I have to say my 2 favourites are the neumann 105 and the shure beta87 which are mainly wireless ones but the wired ones are phantom powered.
Most people tour 2 neumanns and use them alternate nights as the capsules need to dry out overnight as they seem to be sensitive to moisture more so than other mics. Also they seem to distort (in a musical way) a bit more than other vocal mics I have come across.
The shure beta87 is my affordable favourite and if I have a choice to dry hire handheld wireless mics for a gig I will go for this mic every time. Just seems like a vastly cleaner and more detailed 58, but I will say if you are using a wired one its worth taping the xlr in as it can move about in the mic and when it does that it makes a real nasty clicking sound as the 48v connection is being cut in and out. They are made as tough as a 58 but I guess if your getting your own vocal mic you will look after it.

Really happy with my Audix OM6. Rugged and sounds great, definitely more "vibe" than a 58, although there are definitely more "premium" options in the live vocal mic space. Depends on your style/needs.

For metal, the ability to handle high SPLs and to take a beating are essential. For other styles, I'm sure you can get away with something more delicate and closer to studio-grade.

When I heard the Senn I went to a shop and with my vocalist picked out about 5 mics and tested them on a small, nice sounding PA.
Maybe you could just look for a PA based shop rather than consumer based music shop?

I really wish I knew someone with a PA that had the fallowing mics:

Senn e935/945
Audix OM 6 and 7
Beta 58 and sm58

I would really like to hear the differences in these three mics.

I can't tell you the Sennheisers because I have never used them, but..

Audix om6 vs om7. The om6 is higher output and is "fatter/warmer sounding." The om7 is lower output but has high feedback rejection qualities. It has similar detail qualities of the om6 besides what I mentioned above.

The beta 58 is hotter and has a lot more top end. Great for quiet singers who need that extra boost to help them cut through the mix.

This mic hasn't been mentioned yet but I am a fan of the EV ND767. Great sounding mic and super clear. You should check it out. If you go to a sam ash they have all the mics plugged into the wall of PA they have and you can listen to the differences of each one.

However, if you can't get a decent sound out of a 58, I would say it's a problem with the engineer... I have been using them for years without problems.

Senn e935 and 945 are great IMO

Yeah I agree... As I remember, my girlfriend has one of these each and they really are cool mics. SM58s are pretty good as well.

I really can't stand SM58's on live vocals personally. Way too much going on in the low mids so comes across quite muddy imo. Beta 58 is a little better.

Much prefer Sennheiser E835/845. Would love to try out the 900 series though.

I switched to an EV 967 about a year ago. Supposedly it's the highest gain-before-feedback mic on the market and since I sometimes play in not so great venues I thought it was a worthwhile investment.
I dig it. I've used it to record some scratch vocal ideas and it sounds good too but I mainly got it for feedback issues.

I really can't stand SM58's on live vocals personally. Way too much going on in the low mids so comes across quite muddy imo. Beta 58 is a little better.

Much prefer Sennheiser E835/845. Would love to try out the 900 series though.

As far as I remember the E800 series are a little step up in clarity (not as boxy) compared to a 58, but the 900 series is a step up again and also has much more detail in the response (sensitive). It's got a hot output and doesn't seem to feedback as much as I expected it to given it's sensitivity.