Best long prog song?

Being i am probably the oldest metalhead in here one of my favorite long Progressive song comes from way way back from the original pioneers of progressive HAWKWIND. If you want to hear some of Hawkwinds songs get Arjen Lucassens Star One "Space Metal" and give a listen to Disk Two. Another group no one has mentioned is early early Pink Floyd, oh well just my opinion.

Pyramaze51 said:
If you want to hear some of Hawkwinds songs get Arjen Lucassens Star One "Space Metal" and give a listen to Disk Two.

... if you don't have any Hawkwind and want to hear Hawkwind, instead of getting Space One, you can get some... Hawkwind. Just a wacky idea. :p

Jim LotFP said:
... if you don't have any Hawkwind and want to hear Hawkwind, instead of getting Space One, you can get some... Hawkwind. Just a wacky idea. :p

yeppers Jim you are so right, see what getting old will do to you :loco:

One that's not all that long, its 8+ min., but I consider to be the forerunner of what we now know as Prog-metal...Rainbow - Stargazer. :headbang: But, if you include the other song on side 2, Light in the Black, which is part 2 of the story, then it becomes one long song.

Fates Warning - Ivory Gate of Dreams
Iron Maiden - Alexander the Great (always liked this tune, but I think only 9 or so minutes)
Meshuggah - I
song titles escape me but some early Yes and Rush.

** I picked up the new Meshuggah today, if there were no track #s the ENTIRE ALBUM is one long song. I am serious, driving home listening to it today I'm like, dam this 1st track is long.. looked at the cd player, said track 6...o_O I guess they thought "I" was so cool that they had to top it. **

chibitotoro said:
I'm going to have to add Dream Theater's "Octavarium", from the new disc, to my list. Amazing song, and possibly my favorite keyboard solo of all time.

Yeah...l'll agree Octavarium is a classic prog song with very good keys by Rudess. But, l keep listening to These Walls & Sacrificed Sons over & over on this cd. Less "balls & chunk" this time around. Still...Change of Seasons wins hands down (or up) for great long prog

The Alan Parson's Project: "Amonia Avenue" and "La Sagrada Familia" not that long... but sheer prog at it's best

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
Damn, I didnt know that Fates had track that was 70 minutes!! Although I have not heard too much Fates, I bet that song is phenomal.

1) It's technically 12 tracks, although considered one "song." It's listed on the CD as parts I-XII. Someone once told me this was at the record label's insistence, but the tracks do have pretty distinct musical changes so that they sound like they were composed that way.

2) It's not 70 minutes. It's about 53, I don't know how the first guy who posted about it got that idea, but well, I guess he's never looked at his CD player before/after listening to it.

3) Yes, it is phenomenal. :D

On the actual topic however, I'd like to say that at least in the category of songs that are long although perhaps not epic-long (so 10 minutes rather than 20+) someone really needs to mention "The Perfect Element" and "Beyond the Pale" by Pain of Salvation, as they're some of THE best "prog length" (ie: anything longer than what non-prog folks consider a regular song length, 3-5 min, etc). They're perfect examples of what a concept album closing song should be (Finally Free is I believe another good example of this) and PoS did it on two albums in a row! Now, I think every album has had a pretty good closer, but just like RL and TPE are my fav PoS albums its by a small yet significant margin. It's just saying this is more brilliant than that, except that is also in fact brilliant.

Since we're mentioning some non metal things.......John Zorn's "Spillane" needs some mention. About 23 minutes, one of the earliest flash card compositions, so it's not the typical "connected" song, rather disjointed sounding, but really awesome from a great composer and "jazz guy."

Matt Lee said:
On the actual topic however, I'd like to say that at least in the category of songs that are long although perhaps not epic-long (so 10 minutes rather than 20+) someone really needs to mention "The Perfect Element" and "Beyond the Pale" by Pain of Salvation, as they're some of THE best "prog length" (ie: anything longer than what non-prog folks consider a regular song length, 3-5 min, etc).

Agreed on the FW stuff, too, but... yes to this :), although I think BtP is a notch above even PoS's other stuff. (Then again, it's maybe my favorite PoS song, so no surprise there.)

And you definitely don't need 20+ minutes to be "epic" and plenty of songs seem to drag on just for the sake of length sometimes. there's even a Marillion song or two I'd cut off a tad early if I had my druthers. :)

S