Best metal albums of 2014

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC
I know it's only November, but I'm not sure anything game-changing is expected to come out over the next few weeks. I usually scour these lists on MetalInjection/Invisible Oranges/etc to find bands to get into, so I'm interested in what you guys have to say. Anyway, mine:

Behemoth - The Satanist
Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
The Haunted - Exit Wounds
Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution
Revocation - Deathless

The ones I expected to be really great (Acacia Strain, Decapitated, Electric Wizard) were pretty lame :(

Revocation, The Haunted, ATG, Architects, and Job For A Chowboy all come immediately to mind, but I have a feeling Sylosis will take it in December.

The best album of the year though, for me, is From Indian Lakes' Absent Sounds:

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a lot of 2014 listening to music from 2013, but I liked the releases from The Haunted, Job For A Cowboy, Monuments, and Erra. I also kind of liked that Exotype album even though it is ignorant Risecore haha.

Behemoth - The Satanist
Opeth - Pale Communion (not metal, but who cares)
Machine Head - Bloodstone & Diamonds

The other albums of this year pretty much bored the shit out of me :/

The Contortionist - Language
Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution
Conquering Dystopia - Conquering Dystopia
Animals as Leaders - The Joy Of Motion

Haven't listened to all of the Job for a Cowboy or Revocation albums yet, but liked the little I heard of each a quite a bit. The one Sylosis track I heard sounded cool too.

Good non-metal from 2014:
Cynic - Kindly Bent to Free Us (kinda... definitely not my favorite Cynic release)
Chris Letchford - Lightbox
Trees on Mars - The Sapling
Crosses - †††

Really don't listen to music these days but... I checked out the latest Evergrey album. Sounded fresh and absolutely their best album for a few years.

Evergrey - Hymns for the broken.

Really don't listen to music these days but... I checked out the latest Evergrey album. Sounded fresh and absolutely their best album for a few years.

Evergrey - Hymns for the broken.

wish I could say the same, while it´s not a bad album not great either. Almost all songs sounds like ballads, only great colapse adds something different, heavy and dark but still far from the brilliance of any song of recreation day or in search of truth.

Anyway, the only albuns I remember this year are:
Delain - The Human Contradiction
Scar Symmetry - The Singularity
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid 2

Didnt heard too well the ziltoid album but what I heard was very good.

2014 was kinda lame, Soreption and Revocation had cool albums but nothing mind blowing. If Ovid's Withering released their album in 2014 and not late 2013 it'd be the undisputed GOTY of the year.

was gonna ask the same question !

I listened to more metal in 2014 than I did the last few years. However, I really enjoyed a few non-metal albums.

I really enjoyed Deadmau5 latest, this one is pretty cool :

I gave this guy a fair chance as well, it felt so fresh to my ears :

EDIT : Deadmau5's album is from 2013. Whatever, it's a cool one !

Last edited by a moderator:
wish I could say the same, while it´s not a bad album not great either. Almost all songs sounds like ballads, only great colapse adds something different, heavy and dark but still far from the brilliance of any song of recreation day or in search of truth.

Yeah they should have totally made more uptempo songs. And no, they can never touch their top 3 albums IsoT, ReacrationDay, Touch of Blessing :D. But i thought it was listenable and enjoyed it. Mix sounded good too, not like their last release which sounded awful.