Best Mix I've Ever Done, Emmure Style

rchoi54

Sep 5, 2009
Lansing/Ann Arbor, Michigan
great mix man, not really a fan of the song, nor the stock SSD cymbals (particularly that china), but everything goes pretty well with each other. and yea, the guitars are a little harsh, but that could be due to the overly used harmonics used when tracking.

The 1-4 khz range sounds extremely harsh on those guitars, which makes people turn the volume down - not a thing to look up to. Otherwise, balanced.

Just did some more work on the mix! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3371179/Gift Giver - Chatterbox V4.mp3

Very cool stuff dude. I'm sure you love jamming with Keem! :D

Ahh thank you Josh! Keem is the best of course haha :loco:

VOCAL CHAIN:

Our vocalist likes to layer so I set up 3 vocal tracks that had their own compressor, set at -35 dB, 0.1 ms attack, 10 ms release.

Bused the 3 tracks to another compressor -> distortion -> EQ -> stock Reverb -> GlaceVerb.

The second compressor was used to make sure the layered vocals didn't overpower the mix.
Distortion was used extremely lightly just to give some aggressive high end.
EQ was to cut out low end below 80 Hz, and a 3 dB boost around the 5 kHz area with Q set at 1.3.
stock reverb

stock Reverb shot:
2utoww3.png

GlaceVerb shot:
rsfmtt.png

GUITAR CHAIN:
old version used the B3 version of Onqel's lovely TSE X50. new version uses the 1.0 version of the X50.
judging by the responses regarding the old one's harsher guitar tones, i'll just post the chains of the new version.

Schecter Hellraiser with 60 guage strings -> TSE808 2.0 -> TSEX50 1.0 -> LeCab 2 -> Convolution Reverb -> Para EQ

TSE 808: Note that input and output are maxed out to 2.0
10f4yu1.png

TSEX50 FRONT SIDE:
2ro0q9z.png

TSEX50 BACK SIDE:
2ppy721.png

LeCab2: used God's Cab IRs along with s-preshigh
rveqhk.png

Convol Reverb: used to let the guitars breathe a bit from running through 3 different IRs
1zw2fec.png

Para EQ: just minor adjustments to fit the mix
33w7j48.png

Sounds pretty good man! I think the vocal reverbs are too much and also vocals are too loud maybe. Can't hear the bass low end either. :) But the mix is very good already... great vocalist(s)!