Slayer style mix needs ripping open

Humidfume

Hey guys n gals,

Just started writing a new track today and we've recorded the first few riffs down but I wanted to find out what some more experienced ears could bring to the mix as it needs more excitement.

Something is lacking... but whatever it is my ears can't fathom it, so please by all means jump on in there and let me know what you think.

Below is a list that I'll keep updating with all the changes made. (V stands for version so V2 is newer than V1 etc)

V1 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5079813/New Slayer Track LQ.mp3
V2 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5079813/New Slayer Track 2 (2).mp3
V3 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5079813/New Slayer Track.mp3 (Pretty much finished from a mixing point of view, rest of the song has to be recorded though)

Best Regards,

Joe

That hihat has some weird shit in the mids, try to notch that away.
The drums sounds a bit too clinical. Try to get some more room sound going on or/and try some parallel compression.
Try working on the masterbus comp too. To give it more punch. Slow att and rel helps with that, try syncing it to the tempo.

That hihat has some weird shit in the mids, try to notch that away.
The drums sounds a bit too clinical. Try to get some more room sound going on or/and try some parallel compression.
Try working on the masterbus comp too. To give it more punch. Slow att and rel helps with that, try syncing it to the tempo.

Ok man I've added some reverb to everything made it a little more roomy etc and cleaned up the overheads / highhats I think it's sounding a hell of alot better already :D

The link has been updated at the top, but here it is too:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5079813/New Slayer Track 2 (2).mp3

Great mix dude! However, maybe it's just the fact that I'm wearing headphones, but I really struggle to hear the bass... :S
Anyway, good job! Keep it up!

Cheers!
John :headbang:

Great mix dude! However, maybe it's just the fact that I'm wearing headphones, but I really struggle to hear the bass... :S
Anyway, good job! Keep it up!

Cheers!

Hey man thanks! Did you check out V2? There's a bugger load of bass on that one hahaha :D

I think your on a good track. Keep it up. Maybe try compressing your snare a bit. and watch your lows cause I hear a bit of distortion.

Hey man, the snare is pretty compressed already but I could give it a go for sure! And lows as in kick or bass? Or perhaps both?

I can't hear any distortion this end though, so I'll try cranking off the maximiser a bit.

Cheers guys!

Hey man thanks! Did you check out V2? There's a bugger load of bass on that one hahaha :D

Yeah, I listened to V2, and I checked it out on my sound system, but the bass is still a bit absent. Try duplicating the bass tracks + panning, and maybe tweaking the lower freq's a bit! :D

Cheers!

EDIT:

Ps: There seem to be a bit of distortion on crash hit's, but damn, that's a fucking cool riff! :kickass:

Yeah, I listened to V2, and I checked it out on my sound system, but the bass is still a bit absent. Try duplicating the bass tracks + panning, and maybe tweaking the lower freq's a bit! :D

Cheers!

EDIT:

Ps: There seem to be a bit of distortion on crash hit's, but damn, that's a fucking cool riff! :kickass:

Alright man, I raised up teh bass guitar for V3, sounds a lot fuller :D

But distortion on the crashes? Hmm I'm not saying I don't believe you or anything man, but I can't hear any? I've re-listened through a few times and I can't hear any as they arn't compressed and they are only going half way up the volume bar in cubase, maybe it's the fact it's 128 instead of 320 rate?

Can anyone else hear this also?

cheers John! :D

I think the snare could be a bit louder, other than that sounds great man. Nice riff!

Dude I was just thinking the same thing as the page was loading up, then I read your post haha :D

Thanks for the comments guys!

Alright man, I raised up teh bass guitar for V3, sounds a lot fuller

But distortion on the crashes? Hmm I'm not saying I don't believe you or anything man, but I can't hear any? I've re-listened through a few times and I can't hear any as they arn't compressed and they are only going half way up the volume bar in cubase, maybe it's the fact it's 128 instead of 320 rate?

Can anyone else hear this also?

cheers John!

The distortion is minor, so it's probably the bitrate's fault! :p

On a related topic: The new mix was fucking brutal! Great, thick, "in your face" feeling and sound! :kickass:

Keep up the great work, and add some vocals so I can add your mix to my playlist! :D

Cheers! :headbang:

The distortion is minor, so it's probably the bitrate's fault! :p

On a related topic: The new mix was fucking brutal! Great, thick, "in your face" feeling and sound! :kickass:

Keep up the great work, and add some vocals so I can add your mix to my playlist! :D

Cheers! :headbang:

Hahahaha thanks man! I'm writing the song as we speak, I'm about half way / three quarters the way through it, gotta record all the drums etc again so it takes a lot of time hahaha.

But yeah man, a solo, a breakdown and maybe another rff / chorus and it'll be done (minus vocals).

I'll then chuck it over to our singer in america (we're in the uk) write up some lyrics get it recorded and I'll post the final thing up here :D

cheers man!