best natural amp lead tone

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
i am a big mesa boogie buff and a big mark series mesa buff (even though i also own a road king, rectoverb, and in market for 2ch blackface pre 500) but my heart is with the mark iv.

not only because i have it but i mean in general as far as rock and high gain lead tones go i think the boogie mark series take the cake. the iic+ and the very close relative mark iv IMO have the best lead tones. a lot of people will tell you the van halen brown sound or whatever but i'm a firm believer that the marks have such a unique voicing that it really puts them in their own world. unfortunately in modern metal the lead tone is not much of a big issue as its all about drums drums and how good the rhythm guitars sound, which is also cool cuz i love newer metal anyway (nevermore, opeth, chimaira etc.) in addition to the classics thrash stuff btu i mean i really wanted to see what everyone else here thinks about lead tones from amps.

oh and by the way if you need to be convinced of lead tones just listen to "scenes from a memory" by dream theater for some rediculous mark iic+ lead tones, or any liquid tension experiment album for both iic+ and iv tones. basically pretty much anything john petrucci (not newer stuff, thoght their last album was all mark iv)

I've used both an SLO and Bogner Ecstacy, and IMO the Bogner shits all over the Soldano for lead sounds. If you don't believe me, check out the song 'Everything I Need' on my site. Bout halfway in there is a solo section. There is this amazing 5150-like fatness to the bogner's leads.. it's such a loose sound, but soooo fat. The SLO is a lot more controlled, articulate and punchy.