Best pair of stereo SDC mics for OHs under $200

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hey just looking to get a decent but cheap pair for some pre-production work I'm doing with my current band. At the moment I'm looking at the Samson CO2s and Audix Fusion F15s. Any better suggestions? Thanks!

I own a pair of CO2s and they're pretty decent. They do have a lot of noise when you crank the gain, but since you're using them on drums, I don't think that'll be much of a problem. I have yet to use them as OHs, but I've used them on orchestras and choirs and I've actually been rather impressed with them, considering the cost.

CO2s are pretty good for the price, but if you open your budget up an extra $50, you could likely get a pair of Rode NT5s or Oktava MK012s.

If it's only another $50 or so for something like Oktava's then I would go for them to be honest, they would really be mic's that will last forever rather than the Samsons that you'll end up selling as soon as you have the money for something better.

I swear by the Behringer B5's. They can be bought brand new for about 75 a piece, or on ebay for 50-60 a piece.

Granted they are no KM184's, they are very neutral sounding mics which makes sense because the frequency response chart in the manual shows a flat response up to about 10k where there is a slight rise.

They also come with both cardioid and omni capsules which can be helpful at times.

All in all I think I will upgrade to better overhead mics in the future, but probably hang onto these just because they perform so much better than the price they go for :Smokin: