Best recording setup for £250 - Integrated or seperate mic pre?

SecondRateMime

New Metal Member
Jul 31, 2006
Bournemouth, UK
Morning all,

Im new here, i normally post on Harmony Central as AgentOrange, but when it comes to recording, the stuff you guys post on here always sounds awesome, so i figured you are the folks to ask.

Im looking for a decent entry level setup thatll let me cut my teeth with recording, but still be of high enough quality that it doesnt become obsolete when my skills improve. Its going to be used for gradually recording my music project and itll have to handle vocal work for an animation im working on. Id be prepared to have less options if the quality of the mic pres and convers were higher. Now i know, im not gonna be giving Andy or Devin Townsend sleepless nights for a little while, but ive heard some great recordings with fairly modest setups, so what do you guys recommend?

I looked at the M-Audio stuff (FW410 and whatnot) and ive been told by more than a few people that the pres arent that high a quality and my money would be better spent elsewhere. I cant get ahold of the EMU gear, like the 1820, becuase a few shops have told me a British Quality standard issue has arisen means theyre not shipping any over here right now. In my price range it really seems to be between the Focusrite Saffire LE or maybe the Edirol FA-66. Im told the Saffire has the best mic pres and converters in my price range, but i hate buying blind so im looking for any and all advice.

Would it be a better idea to get a seperate mic pre unit and PCI card with breakout box like the Delta 66? I dont know how the quality compares between these all-in-one interfaces and the seperate units. Id be looking at the ART DPS II or Studio Projects VTB1 if i were to get a seperate mic pre unit.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

James

xmarcelx said:
I'm in a similiar situation...
but how many channels and pre's do you need?

ahh, probably should have mentioned that. I could live with one mic pre, but two would be best for multiple mics and when it comes to adding voices to my animations. Thats whats most important, but beyond that, Midi is nice but not a must, S/PDIF is also useful. As for outs, theyll just be used for monitors id imagine, when i get some money together for buying some, and not a lot else. This isnt gonna be used for any live mixing or recording bands as a whole. I program all my drums for the time being, so itll really be for guitar, bass and vox.

Im pretty new to all the technical side of this, so if ive missed anything out you think ill need, let me know!

James

right dude, i've got the m-audio delta 10/10 LT pci card, and the pre's are of half decent quality, but you could then buy the art preamp as well, and have 4 mic pre's, but you said about the art but it's £239 by itself?

Im not sure what it costs normally, but theres a few on ebay for around 160, so if i bought something like the Delta 44 or 66 then it would still be more or less in budget. Would that be a better option? I dont really need more than 2, its quality im more concerned with for the time being

James