Best Slate Cymbals/ Tips for programming cymbals?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys,

I'm doing a mix for a cover that wasn't recorded by the drummer, so I'm needing to program cymbals for the first time. I have programmed notes from the Guitar Pro track I downloaded to guide me, but I'm just wondering what everyone's go to cymbals are if they have to use Slate (I know it's not a favorite). I just got upgraded to SSD Platinum 3.5 after having lots of trouble with EX 3.5. I know that this pack has more drums and cymbals... does this also include all the other packs like Metal And More, the rock pack etc? Because I previously bought EX and the metal and more pack. Anyway, I just want to know what the most "ok" sounding cymbals are in Slate and if anyone has any tips for programming cymbals, besides the obligatory "don't use hard velocities". Speaking of which, what kind of velocity range should cymbal hits be in, like softest hit to hardest hits?

Thanks in advance for any help!

"Like, whatever velocities sound good, use your rears man" [hippie smiley here]

But more usefully, around the 90's usually works, play around with higher values in the choruses etc (if it has choruses and isn't just flat out "brutalz" metal)

One more thing, I have to re-program some bass parts, and I'm curious, what kind of velocity range do you guys use for bass? I'd like it to sound realistic but still hit hard.

I use Signal's Zombass when programming bass and just leave it at 100%. A friend of mine uses Trillian and also keeps it at 100%.

They're both good and realistic enough to not need any manual velocity changes.

I use Signal's Zombass when programming bass and just leave it at 100%. A friend of mine uses Trillian and also keeps it at 100%.

They're both good and realistic enough to not need any manual velocity changes.

I use the Prominy SR5 Rock Bass. It's pretty good, so I guess I'll give 100% a try. Thanks again!