Best song you'll have heard in ages (new Slice the Cake)

P-E

Munchkin
Jul 31, 2008
Montreal, QC

This is Gareth and Jonas' (Petrocker here) band. Many of you already know them, just thought you guys might like their new song.

As far as I'm concerned I think it's pretty amazing, and I'm stoked for the whole record coming later this month. The mix is pretty ballin' too. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a thread about them on SS.org. Expected it to be gay because it was SS.org, was pleasantly surprised. Nice mix of prog and deathcore without sounding pretentious.

This is ridiculously good. The songwriting is killer and creative, they actually brought back a hook a couple times and it still managed to go all over the place. Are they signed, touring, pushing wares or is this all still an online collaboration sort of deal?

neat metal foundry cymbals
sounds like the mixer forgot to back down the 100% mix knob on reverb of the vocal tracks
the only good part was around 3.00 with the tapping up to the clean guitars
everything else generic as fuking fukkk

neat metal foundry cymbals
sounds like the mixer forgot to back down the 100% mix knob on reverb of the vocal tracks
the only good part was around 3.00 with the tapping up to the clean guitars
everything else generic as fuking fukkk

LOL from the guy who posted a thread raving about how un-generic Ovid's Withering is it is very hard to take this seriously.

that was pretty damn good. damn.
Is that still gareth on vox? sounds a lot different than the last time I heared STC! Dig it!

Wouldnt call it best song in ages but it was definitely cool ! I like this clean singing, it adds a lot to the style. There were some super cool riffs and moments !

On the technical side, I must admit vocals are distracting and would have needed drastic de-essing ! It jumped on me immediately

Thanks for the plug P-dog!

Is that still gareth on vox? sounds a lot different than the last time I heared STC! Dig it!

Still Gareth. He's the one doing the clean singing on this also, which is something I've done in the past.

On the technical side, I must admit vocals are distracting and would have needed drastic de-essing ! It jumped on me immediately

I'm aware of this and done some work on it. Just one of the mishaps that's been fixed for the album release yknow.

These guys are awesome. I edited the vocals, nothing drastic though, just aligning multiple layers to make sure it sounds like one huge take, and ridiculously minimal tuning cause there's also several layers of harmony on some of the clean vocals. It's really fun to work on editing tracks that are already awesome to begin with, it's enhancing instead of fixing crapiness. The songwriting and performances are top notch, great production, Gareth is a really talented lyricist apart from a singer, it's a winning formula really. Can't wait to hear the whole album!

This is ridiculously good. The songwriting is killer and creative, they actually brought back a hook a couple times and it still managed to go all over the place. Are they signed, touring, pushing wares or is this all still an online collaboration sort of deal?

I see Jonas didn't reply to this post. They're still an online collaboration, but they will be doing a show at Techfest in the UK. I'm pretty stoked for 'em, things are shaping up nicely.

Glad most of you guys dig it!

I love it! That's actually the first time I hear about this band tbh but that's a very good surprise! Many great ideas, awesome playing and awesome production as well. Thanks for that, I will be paying close attention to what these guys do.

Still Gareth. He's the one doing the clean singing on this also, which is something I've done in the past.

awesome, he does them well, they sound cool and really fit!
His screams and growls also got a lot more diverse. They where always really cool, but now they have even more character (I only heard the very first EP though mind, so compared to that)

The composition and production is really good as well. Got me interested for the whole 8 minutes! Great work dude!

Damn that's awesome! I only heard bits and pieces of the first EP ages ago, but you guys definitely evolved as musicians and songwriters, stellar work!

Couldn't agree more with Mago, Gareth was already an beast of a vocalist but he definitely amazed me with this performance, loads of character and emotion in there.

Only minor complaint I have (which you are working on as I read) is that the esses are quite agressive, and I also think that the vocals sound a bit buried at times.
And I can't stop to think that this would have been even more awesome with a real great (session) drummer in there.