Best songs on albums

Metal88

Final Flash!
Nov 4, 2001
Fuckville
Visit site
I am new to Anathema. Of the mp3's I have so far my favorites are "One last goodbye" off Judgement and Empty, Fragile Dreams, and Destiny off Alternative 4. The orchestral verson of "The Silent Enigma" is awesome too! What cd is this song on? Also what are everyone's favorite songs from AFDTE as well as the rest of the albums?

Originally posted by LoboUivante
i think most Anathema pre Judgement days beat AFDTE, just my personal opinion.

i heard someone saying that the new albums isnt near as melancholic (sp?)

got to go

I think AFDTE is musically more different than atmospherically compared to the older ones. The emotional level is at least as high on it than on any other Anathema albums. The atmosphere is just slightly different, more relaxed and less dark but it doesn't make it any worse. Anathema is a band that manages to put their current state of mind and feelings on music when they write new songs. I am really sick of hearing people whining about the new album because it is less melancholic, dark etc only because they need music to drown in their own selfpity. People change, their feelings and moods change and this goes for Anathema as well. They have gone thru lots of shit but now things seem to be going well for them so how could it not affect on their music as well ? They still write music that comes from their hearts, there is no way you can deny that...

Originally posted by mega

I think AFDTE is musically more different than atmospherically compared to the older ones. The emotional level is at least as high on it than on any other Anathema albums. The atmosphere is just slightly different, more relaxed and less dark but it doesn't make it any worse. Anathema is a band that manages to put their current state of mind and feelings on music when they write new songs. I am really sick of hearing people whining about the new album because it is less melancholic, dark etc only because they need music to drown in their own selfpity. People change, their feelings and moods change and this goes for Anathema as well. They have gone thru lots of shit but now things seem to be going well for them so how could it not affect on their music as well ? They still write music that comes from their hearts, there is no way you can deny that...

I was about to say something on my last post but when was abruptly interrupted… I don’t remind what it was about to though… don’t worry dude im not used to despise what other people like or shit like that. Also you’ve touched a very valid point… if things are going good why continue being an hypocrite and lie about your feelings… I have that album for some time but I still didn’t listened to it (don’t know why though)… since Judgement they don’t have much to do with me.

still i dont know if the emotional level is that high... (personal opinion). it doesnt matter if it's delivered through growls or clean voice... the only thing that matters is the way...

Damm it I wish I remembered what I was going to say on my last post

best individual songs are definitely from Alternative 4: fragile dreams & regret. maybe judgment is still best as an album.

the new album sounds different, but good too. and i think it has a lot of feeling in it, maybe even more than the old ones...

Originally posted by Absent One
best individual songs are definitely from Alternative 4: fragile dreams & regret. maybe judgment is still best as an album.

the new album sounds different, but good too. and i think it has a lot of feeling in it, maybe even more than the old ones...

Now AFDTE is a hard album to get into for some weird reason. I took me at least 15-20 listens before I could get into tracks like "Release","Pressure","Temporary Peace" etc. Now I still haven't gotten into all songs even I do know they are good - kinda hard to explain. I don't know why this album is so hard to get into even the melodies are simplier and catchier. So don't judge the album after few listens, just give it enough spins before you make up your mind.

Restless Oblivion is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

As for AFDTE IMO it is an openminded album and it requires a lot of time and many listenings to get to you.That doesn't mean that it is a bad album and it contains a song (Release) which is among the best Anathema has ever writen........

My personal favourites are:

Eternity:

Angelica
Eternity Parts 1,2 and 3

Alternative 4:
Fragile Dreams
Empty
Re-Connect

Judgement:
Deep
One Last Goodbye
Make It Right
Judgement

A Fine Day To Exit:
Release
Looking Outside Inside
Underworld

I didn't judge AFDTE, after listening to it a couple of times, because I knew it would open to me eventually... And it did, after listening to it about 5 - 10 times. Now I like the record, but I still think it's a bit weird and different. Just can't find similarities to any other band actually, so maybe it's originality that is confusing...bla bla what am I talking about...

Originally posted by Absent One
Just can't find similarities to any other band actually, so maybe it's originality that is confusing...

I think you're right! You know, it was for me also difficult to get into AFDTE... but as a good fan betame i gave it another chance. And now i really like it! It's the hardest album to get into anathema surely. (for a metaller of course, for the more common audience it's the most easiest perhaps?)

There are a lot of people saying there's no doom anymore in anathema, but there is! A distinguishing mark of doom is the melancholica, and so is a AFDTE. Of course there are no more heavy guitars... (that's the reason I say there is still doom in anathema, but it's no doom anymore -just like there is doom in the current katatonia-)

About the similarities with other bands, following are mentioned: Radiohead and Pink Floyd. It would be better to say there is contacts with them. I mean Radiohead is also melancholic and Pink Floyd has some great leadguitar-melodies.
But it's pretty unique!

Well AFDTE is surely ANATHEMA! and this is that matter! And I don't think that is less melancholic! Listen to the title track and you'll get my point

favourite tracks?
Serenades: Sleepless
The Silent Enigma: A Dying Wish
Alternative 4: Fragile Dreams
Judgement: One Last Goodbye
A Fine Day To Exit: A Fine Day To Exit

Originally posted by Mariner

About the similarities with other bands, following are mentioned: Radiohead and Pink Floyd.

well, I've heard that kind of comparisons too, but I haven't really listened to neither of those bands that much. Just a couple of random songs, so it's hard for me to say if they're similar with anathema or not...so for me anathema is quite original. Well maybe I should get to know those other mentioned bands better too, but for some reason they have never really interested me that much...