Best Split Albums/EPs

V.V.V.V.V.

Houses Ov Mercury
Jan 20, 2004
Dracut, MA
Haven't seen one of these, least not for a while. List and discuss your favorite split albums or split EPs.

A few o' mine:

Xasthur/Acid Enema split LP
This is AE at their best, atfer their "hardcore" period. Hateful hymns of vitriol...musically, this is some of Xasthur's rawest and most hateful shit also. Great split.

Aarni/Umbra Nihil split LP
The Aarni side is a bit different (and worse) than his debut LP Bathos, but the UN side is better than their album, featuring one of the best modern doom songs ever, "Water In Lungs"

Malignancy/Intervalle Bizzare split LP
Some of IB's best (and only) songs on this one...they had a few more releases (most notably a section of the 5-way Czech Assault CD, the others are apparently demos) before they split up, but they left us a group of positively fucking brutal, seething deathgrind with crazy inhales, awesome pinch harmonics, and chaotic soloing. The Malignancy side is good too, with the first and last songs being pre-production versions of songs on the later EP, and the others being revamped songs from their earlier full-length, Intrauterine Cannibalism.

Now post yours.

Altar / Cartilage - Ex Oblivione / The Fragile Concept of Affection

Probably my all-time favourite split; the Cartilage material is absolutely stunning and unique Finnish Death Metal, and while Altar is nowhere near as brilliant, it's still very cool.

Necromantia / Varathron - Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins

No explanation is really necessary for this. One of the finest Black Metal splits ever.

Graveland / Honor - Raiders of Revenge

The Graveland side features some of the best Hammerheart styled songs yet and Honor, while inferior, manages to maintain a high standard.

Vlad Tepes / Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust

The best thing to come from LLN.

Beherit / Archgoat - Messe des Morts / Angelcunt (Tales of Desecration)

A classic split from the Finnish hordes.

Clandestine Blaze / Deathspell Omega

Contains what I consider the best material from both bands - and pretty much the only Clandestine Blaze songs I care for.

Krieg / Morte Incandescente - Death Glorification

Arguably Morte Incandescente's best songs, although the Krieg side is lacking in comparison.

Old Wainds / Nav' - We Are the North... Mean Cold War

Although just two early demos slapped together, this works greatly as a split as each band compliments the other immensely. Harsh and brutal madness.

Xasthur/Leviathan
Xasthur/Nortt
Leviathan/Sapthuran

All Black Metal and all good. Leviathan especially.

Brutal Death:
Human Mastication/Flesh Disgorged
Digested Flesh/Inhuman Dissiliency
Inhuman Dissiliency/Vomitous

Chakal/Mutilator/Sarcófago/Holocausto - Warfare Noise I
Iuvenes/Leviathan - Live In Eternal Sin - The Speed Of Darkness
Kraina Bez Wiatru/Perunwit

Aside from many already mentioned:

Eternal Solstice/Mourning - At The Dawn Of...
Second Hell/Skull Crusher - Metal Deadness
Thou Art Lord/Ancient Rites - Thou Art Lord/Ancient Rites 7"

apart from the ones mentioned.
Thorns vs. Emperor split
clandestine blaze - satanic warmaster split
horna behexen split

I saw some Leviathan splits at this store in town. I'll have to pick those up.

One was Crebain/Leviathan and the other was the Xasthur split
Xasthur/Leviathan is an essential release. The Xasthur material is in-between the early, low-fi production era and the (relatively) more slick modern releases. The atmosphere is just enveloping. I think it's probably the most effective Xasthur release in this regard. The aggressive production evokes fear more than the despondency of some earlier releases. While an entire Xasthur album can get tedious (even for a fan such as myself), the length is just right on this split.

The Leviathan half features two of the most amazing metal songs I've ever heard. The songs are quite minimal compared to the band's other work, with drums and bass taking much more of a background role, and keys being more prominent. The production is thick and fuzzy. The songs only have a handful of riffs over 10+ minute each. The first song has a beautiful ambient synth section, and the second relies on piano and synths to build momentum. The overall feeling complements the Xasthur tracks but is very different. It's very relaxing and contemplative.

So far, this is the best work by either band. I rate it a 10/10. It's the best USBM release I've heard to date.

I find Leviathan/Sapthuran and Leviathan/Blackdeath to be the more interesting of the rest of the Leviathan splits. L/S has a completely new sound that has no trace of the "suicidal" sound of earlier releases. It's very melodic and has a more "modern" feel. L/B is more in-between L/S and earlier material. Features "Derision," the only other song that comes close to the feel of the songs on the X/L split.