Best Subwoofer for Yamaha HS80m ~300€

Jun 12, 2012
Hey :)

i need a new subwoofer for my Yamaha hs80m. I have a Behringer B2092A and its cool for listen to music but for mixing it dont is true enough. Boosts some frequences and cut some frequences that it shouldnt do when it would be flat.

any suggestions?

i think if i dont know absolutly what im doing room treatment makes it even worst dont it? i dont know much about room treatment.

and the hs80m have really not much subbass

From my perspective the HS80M's put out more than enough low end. I've been using them for a little more than a year now in my properly treated room (though its a bit on the small side). You cant really make too many mistakes with room treatment.

I really think you should take a hard look at your room, mix position, treatment, bass traps, etc.

From my perspective the HS80M's put out more than enough low end. I've been using them for a little more than a year now in my properly treated room (though its a bit on the small side). You cant really make too many mistakes with room treatment.

I really think you should take a hard look at your room, mix position, treatment, bass traps, etc.

if my problem is bass the first thought is buying some basstraps right?

they have enough for mixing purposes

i till you the problem:

my mix sounds great here in the studio , on headphones and on normal hifi systems. (as much bass as the commercial songs have). In my car (with subwoofer standard audi a3 sound system [concert]) There is much more subbass than the commercial have and even mask some of the normal frequences...

can you tell me what to do?

i till you the problem:

my mix sounds great here in the studio , on headphones and on normal hifi systems. (as much bass as the commercial songs have). In my car (with subwoofer standard audi a3 sound system [concert]) There is much more subbass than the commercial have and even mask some of the normal frequences...

can you tell me what to do?

how about buying a good set of cans, so you can set the hpf filters properly

besides, it seems your room has a lot of nulls in the subbass frequencies, i don't think a subwoofer is a good solution to aid those

You can definitely do a lot, treatment wise, with 300€. Google or search the forum for DIY bass traps - what you basically want is a for 2'x4', 4" thick bass traps to either straddle your corners or to make some superchunks to fit in the corners to help out with your bass, and then 2" panels of the same height/width spaced around on the walls to help with reflections. A cloud in addition to this would be awesome, but your first priority should be the bass traps and reflection panels.

Once your room is treated and you can properly hear clear, unclouded low-end, I'm pretty confident that you won't want a sub anymore.

You can definitely do a lot, treatment wise, with 300€. Google or search the forum for DIY bass traps - what you basically want is a for 2'x4', 4" thick bass traps to either straddle your corners or to make some superchunks to fit in the corners to help out with your bass, and then 2" panels of the same height/width spaced around on the walls to help with reflections. A cloud in addition to this would be awesome, but your first priority should be the bass traps and reflection panels.

Once your room is treated and you can properly hear clear, unclouded low-end, I'm pretty confident that you won't want a sub anymore.

^This

I wouldn't waste your money on those. Bass traps are cheaper to build than you think. If you have even only a little bit of skill you can make 4 decent size (4-6" thickness) bass traps for under $100.

but where im getting perfect material for those? Is there any REALLY good shoppinglist what to buy ? (especially for correcting the bass) ?

Rockwool or rigid fiberglass insulation. I found 20 sheets of 2" OC703 for about $150 USD. Home depot had 8x1s for frames, I had a staple gun. Jo-ann had a bolt of muslin, I also had a staple gun. all together, cost me less than $300 USD for 160 sq ft. of reflection point/bass trapping.