Best Testament Drummer

anonymousnick2001

World's Greatest Vocalist
Aug 10, 2003
I
Who do you think was the best drummer for Testament?

I have to brush up, but I think they had Dave Lombardo at one point, Gene Hoglan at another, and John Tempesta as well. I think they're all good...but...

Who's the best?

Even though he was not the most techincal, consistant, or most powerful, I still like Louie Clemente too ! :tickled:

But seriously , I can't pick one , top 2 would be Johnny Tempesta, and Dave Lombardo.

Pyrus said:
It's down to Dave and Gene, no fucking question at all. I'd say Lombardo wins it for some really creative fills and shit, though it's close.

I've always thought Louie was one of the worst...that's the major weakness of the first two albums, to me. The drumming.
Actually, I'd say that's the charm of the two first albums, the power of combining some really brutal riffs, combined with some really simple drumming. Adds to the headbanging, IMO. Perhaps on cost if intriciaty (sp?), though, for some I guess.

i have to go with Dave Lombardo, Gene is a great drummer technicaly, but in demonic the drumming was very simple compared with his real abilities, also i think that Tempesta did a great job on both Low and FSSD that shouldn't be neglected

My favourite is Dave L -
The Gathering is excellent piece of music and but it is he who makes it a masterpiece of art for me - the whole album is like one great drum solo .... everytime i listen to it i find a pass or a hit that simply kills me.

Second place goes to John "the Storm" (which can be translated into Polish as Janek Sztorm - which - believe me on that - sounds really coool :) - I love his work on Low and FSSD - especially foot work :) seen him live .. also on DNR .. and it was simply AMAZING!!!!

Gene H- i know how good he is but does he make to his stadards on D ? I don't think so ....

Lu Cle - I had never really mind his drum work when I was a kid starting my journey with Testament around 1990 but then especially after hearing Low and Gathering- I have to be honest - i started to find his drum work too simple and too monotonic (especially on Legacy)

P.Bostaph - did a good job on Return ... as J.Dette did on Live at ....

Had no chance to see Asgeir live .... so cannot say a word about him.

and last but not least Jon Allen ... heard him with Sadus (very quick there) and Dragonlord (like dhis work there VERY MUCH) didn't have a chance to see him with Testament..

uff did i miss anyone?

Ah!!! good words i see here!

Dave Lombardo is one of the most precise, clean and powerfull drummer on the scene.
His work on The Gathering blew me away the first time i heard the album and still gives me goose bumps.

Gene is one of my drum idols, since i m a drummer, I bow to the minimal material he did on Demonic. If you don't know Gene, check him out in Death, Strapping Young Lad and Dark Angel.

John Tempesta's work on Low and Fssd gave the albums so much power and groove. I respect the guy's play on Low, not many would come up with such creativity.

Finnaly Jon Allen just rocks in Sadus. I never had the chance to see him live.

For me it´s Lombardo for playing so straight and nevertheless ultra-powerful on TG. I don´t like his Slayer stuff though :)

Clemente is the most unprecise Drummer, he really fucks up on a lot of songs (especially on SOB).

Hoglan might be respected as a great Drummer, but i hate him. I think he has destroyed Demonic even more with his slow, boring drumming.

Tempesta is great, i like his drumming on FSSD, where he always plays the same stuff as Celemente, but tighter , with doublebass and with more power and some nice fills.

But overall - Lombardo !

Lombardo and Hoglan without a doubt. I mean those are the 2 best drummers in thrash metal and TestAmenT had them both!

I consider myself very fortunate to have seen one of Lombardo's few live gigs with TestAmenT and it was SICK!!! WELL worth the 8 hours of driving we did to get back and forth to that gig.

Epica said:
Actually, I'd say that's the charm of the two first albums, the power of combining some really brutal riffs, combined with some really simple drumming. Adds to the headbanging, IMO. Perhaps on cost if intriciaty (sp?), though, for some I guess.

I agree with Epica there. Louie Clemente actually had a certain charm with his simple drumming... And some of his beats are untouchable... I mean PWYP (the song) couldn't have any other beat!

Pyrus said:
I've always thought Louie was one of the worst...that's the major weakness of the first two albums, to me. The drumming.
I'd have to agree. Louie Clemente is one of the worst, if not the worst thrash drummer of all time.

Gene Hoglan and Jon Allen are both great.

I'd have to agree. Louie Clemente is one of the worst, if not the worst thrash drummer of all time.
Don't forget that Lars Urlich had also been considered a Thrash Metal drummer and our Louie was way better than him...:)

Speaking of Lars , I about died laughing on that Metallica DVD w/ St Crapper where Lars plays the double bass and then after the song looks completely winded like he's gonna die of a heart-attack. He might wanna go back to playing Enter Sandman for health reasons. :)