Best "the Trooper" cover?

Jotun84

New Metal Member
Sep 16, 2002
Visit site
I'm making an Iron Maiden Cover song CD, with the Iron maiden original before each cover song. So far i have Dark Tranquillity 22 Acacia Avenue, In flames Murders in the Rue Morgue, COB Aces High, Sonata Arctica Die with your Boots On, Iced Earth, the number of the beast, and cradle of filth Hallowed be thy name (I hate cradle of filth but for some reason, I like their cover). And i was wondering how does the best cover of the trooper? And how many bands can you think of that has done covers of it? Thanks guys for all the help, its greatly appreciated.

I've heard a live version done by Dream Theater, but I think that was a bootleg.....check out the version by Children Of Bodom off the Follow The Reaper CD. :)
Oh yeah, Anthrax did Remember Tomorrow and Pantera did Killers.
Hey, that In Flames version of Murders is tuff, huh.

Fates Warning has cover of Flight Of Icarus from their Early Days (this is on the reissue of Night On Brocken as a bonus track). The Maidens do it much better though...

I like Beyond The Embrace's cover of The Trooper (complete with an Aces High intro). The only problem is I know they're capable of better as their recording sounds more like a warm up-rehearsal take than the "real thing".

When Phantom Blue was in Europe we had a band called Blind Justice opening for us from Holland and they did a great version of The Trooper. They had a gal playing electronic violin too! They were a great band! I wonder if they're still around these dayz........:rolleyes:

Actually, this is a comment slash question. I until recently loved the Children of Bodom cover of the Trooper.. til i was at work the other day on Bodom's website and clearly posted in the FAQ section is the statement that they NEVER covered the Trooper. So, the comment is, thats not Bodom.. the question is.. who the F$#% is it? If anyone knows.. please contact me.. Ty.. o_O

yeah cob never covered the trooper. I dont know why people think cob covered it but the band that does is either Lord Belial, Sentenced, and i think Arch enemy. So if you want to check those out

Someone sent me a bootleg of Dream Theater - with Bruce!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: They started Where Eagles Dare and Killers but only played a bit of them. The only complete song they played was Trooper (with an organ solo!). Is that the Dream Theater version you guys are talking about?

Air Raid Siren said:
Someone sent me a bootleg of Dream Theater - with Bruce!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: They started Where Eagles Dare and Killers but only played a bit of them. The only complete song they played was Trooper (with an organ solo!). Is that the Dream Theater version you guys are talking about?

I have that version as well, not with Where Eagles Dare or Killers on it too, just The Trooper. I don't remember an organ solo but it is possibly the same one. I know that DT have also played the whole of the NOTB album and Metallica's Master Of Puppets album live at shows before (both of which I have yet to hear!!).