Best use of guitar phrasing?

DarkNoise

Grotesque Butchery Rabbit
Your opinions.

I think one the top 5 all time best uses is pretty much every Friedman solo in "High Speed Dirt". I tried to emulate the bends and slides in that song when I first started playing, and it's what really gave me my style (or lack therof?).

Obviously most of Loomis' rythm riffs use mass amount of phrasing so those go without saying.

Per Nilsson from Scar Symmetry uses alot of interesting phrasing in his solos.

Marco Sfogli is also another incredible guitarist who rules in the phrasing category.

Peter Wichers is also a favorite.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAudaYwruuw&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also the mighty Guthrie Govan.

Mattias Eklundh aka God of Freak Kitchen fame. Probably in my top 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Poland, especially on the damn the machine album.

Marty Friedman of course.

Always like Steve Rothery of Marillion for interesting phrasing. Not sure why.

This Marco Sfogli guy sounds exactly like Petrucci when he used to be good.

Marty Friedman of course.

This Marco Sfogli guy sounds exactly like Petrucci when he used to be good.

which is ironic because he's the guitarist for James Labrie's solo band, and i know he's not a guitarist but James labrie's keyboardist has some really great phrasing in his solos, and sounds like a fairly convincing guitar as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my1Qd9mSJVo&feature=related&fmt=18[/ame]

Ah yes, two more I should never have forgotten to mention.
Rothery really is a fantastic player. Chris Poland's return to metalopolis and damn the machine work was excellent.

guillory will admit that petrucci is his main influence, he even has old demos playing DT solos on his keyboards.

He was also in the running when Ruddess became DT's new keyboards because he didn't have any experience on the road.

have you heard Dali's Dilemma GUillory played in? probably the best overall DT clone band that ever was, great oldschool DT style playing, excellent songwriting, and a non-annoying hard rock-ish singer.

I think a couple of the Dali's Dilemmas guys were on the second James Murphy solo album? The band name is really familiar to me, even though I've never heard them.