Best vintage 30 cab for under 800?

BL1NDSIDE-J

Dec 19, 2010
Hey fellas I was wondering what would be the best v30 cab to go with my 5150 for under 800? I am leaning towards avatar but was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I've also heard the line6 is real close to a boogie stiletto but haven't been able to verify. I like the orange but its a little too pricey.

dollar, forgot to specify. I just found an avatar 4x12 on craigslist for 400 should I hold out for a mesa?

As an Avatar owner myself, I would like to say it fucking slays! I really have no desire to ever change cabinets other than maybe a bogner cab. The mesas are a bit more aggressive at the cost of harshness where as the Avatar is darker and a bit smoother at the cost of not being as aggressive (this has more to do with the actual version of V30s that come in each cabinet).

My vote is go with whatever sounds best to you and which ever is worth your budget, just don't fall into the "mesa boogie cabinetry is the end all say all" fad that seems to be dominate around here.

You can in theory buy the Harley Beton V30 cab, its certainly not so very good, but its cheap as hell + the entire cab is cheaper than we individual speakers, which is think is ... kinda cool :eek:

Considering I got my OS recto cab for 840 euro new ( and everything mesa related is pricier here in europe) you should be able to find one for less than 800 secondhand in the us.

I'd wait, you'll never regret ;)

I got one ENGL PRO for 300 € + 70 € shipping last week (second hand obviously). I also own a Marshall 1960AV.
Engl wins (by a subtle little difference). So I'd recommend you Engl.

BTW, Mesa OS is great but I can't notice any difference with the Engl. Mesa seems to be a bit more solid constructed.

Between the engl and the mesa if you do a A/B test with a bandage on your eyes you don't know which cab is sounding (we did the test with monkeys and humans)

Mesa is overpriced IMO.

I've been looking around and all the mesa's I've found seem to have been used so much that they are in bad condition, which is a good sign they sound good, but I am weary about purchasing them. I am starting to lean towards the orange camp for the darker sound. The search continues!

I have 2 avatar 4x12s a triple rectifier & a 6505+ & the avatar cabinets always slay. I get compliments on my tone all the time... There a hair dark but nothing rolling my presence up cant fix... Im about to add 2 more Lopo 2x15 cabs...