Best Vintersorg song(s)?

Nov 26, 2004
Finland
varis.co.nr
This kind thread is also on the Borknagar forum,so why not here?
I know that is hard to select one song,so you can choose so many as you like! ;)
Here is my choices:

Algol
The Enigmatic Spirit
Cosmic Genesis
Asatider
Till Fjälls
A Metaphysical Drama
Månskensmän
Matrix Odyssey
A Microscopical Macrocosm
Curtains
Epilogue Metalogue - Sharpen Your Mind Tools

This has probally been done a million times but my faves are:

Gastkramad (live otyg)
The Explorer (such awesome lyrics)
Trollbunden.
Cosmic Genesis (the song which got me into vintersorg)

But other than those ones like every song is my favourite I've listened to everything Vintersorg I own so many times its not funny.

You should change the title of this thread to "your favorite vintersorg songs?" ;)

Anyway, my faves:

Norrland
For Kung Och Fosterland
Vildmarkens Fortrollande Stammor
Till Fjalls
Isjungfrun
Nar Alver Sina Runor Sjungit
Odemarkens Son
Trollbunden
Astral and Arcane
Algol
Vem Styr Symmetrin?
A Metaphysical Drama
Universums Dunkla Alfabet
The Essence
A Microscopical Macrocosm

...or "least favourite Vintersorg songs", cause this will probably be easier for people to choose... :)

For all of Vintersorg's music, I am in complete love with 98% or so...
Here are the one's that I think less of, in no special order:

* Jökeln (ok, it's definitly not bad, just a bit below the average standard)
* På Landet (same thing as above, this song is just weird but it might have something to do with the lyrics not being written by Mr. V)
* Trance Locator (this one is completly pointless)
* Artifacts Of Chaos (not as good as Trollbunden)

See Mr. V, I've learned to enjoy Algol :D
BTW, who is this Oscar Fredrik who has written På Landet?

I say as Draugen, probably easier to name the ones you like less. But I try to list my favourites (in order of apperance):
Stilla, Norrskensdrömmar, Tussmörkret, För Kung Och Fosterland, Vildmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor, Till Fjälls, Urberget, Äldst Av Troner, Asatider, Isjungfrun, Svältvinter, Under Norrskenets Fallande Ljusspel.

From the later Vintersorg albums:
Astral And Arcane (Döpt I En Jökelsjö!!), The Enigmatic Spirit, Universums Dunkla Alfabet, The Explorer, The Essence.

And if we are to add Otyg to that:
Stentorsröster, Skuggan På Åsen, Otygets Tid, Driven Ur Fjället, Genom Obanat Rike, Fimbulfolket, Härnadståg, Huldran, I Trollberg Och Skog, Ulvskrede, Fjällstorm, Allfader Vise, Trollpiskat Ödemarksblod, Trollslottet, Vilievandring, Galderbesjungen, När Älvadrottningen Kröns, Årstider, Gygralock, Gastkramad.

When I heard Månskensmän for the first time I was like :OMG: I HAVE to understand every single word he sings and I want to sing along with this beautiful catching song! <- which isn't that easy if you have never heard swedish before. that was when I started to learn myself swedish and norwegian(I just can't choose!). wheeej!
i could mention the other best songs, but it is really hard because there are so many! o_O

To tell you the truth I was generally disappointed with The Focusing Blur :erk: But I like the other stuff A lot :D

no one mentions E.S.P. Mirage or A Star-guarded Coronation?!? i play those on repeat for hours!

Till Fjälls
Cosmic Genesis
Isjungfrun
Vildmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor
A Dialogue With The Stars

Draugen said:
...or "least favourite Vintersorg songs", cause this will probably be easier for people to choose... :)

* På Landet (same thing as above, this song is just weird but it might have something to do with the lyrics not being written by Mr. V)

...it's about time!!!...hehehehe...
mr V

Hmm, odd. I really enjoy "På Landet". Think it has a nice feel to it. But anyways, the stuff from the swedish albums is great, but the english ones aren't all that bad. Naturens Galleri is good, Microscopical Macrocosm, Sharpen Your Mind Tools, Starguarded Coronation, and so on.

Never di care much for "Till Fjälls", the last part where he repeats "Till Fjälls" is just a bit too odd...

Draugen said:

BTW, who is this Oscar Fredrik who has written På Landet?

I have always imagined you as being the biggest V fan around the world, i must say im suprised what you think about Jökeln and På Landet. I think they are two fantastic songs that both has a contrastpart in the song that really lifting them to new hights. Thats what i think Vintersorg is all about. But i agree with you that Trance Locator easy qualifies as the least good V song. Its like something he just wrote for the sake of having a ending song of the album.

Anyway, isn´t the drums on Algol´s chours a bit strange?

Fångad utav nordens själ.

Would be my pick when pressed to mention one song.
And I seem to be pressed to do exactly that right now for some bloody reason! I guess you are all to blame!

-Andreas (the one who is BLAMING you all, Yes YOU too!)

svältvinter said:

I think that the drums on the Algol chorus are great! Fast...
And other reason why Trance Locator isnt very good, is that there are no clean vocals...Mr.V`s clean vocals is the thing that makes Vintersorg so good.

Phyros said:
Fångad utav nordens själ.

Would be my pick when pressed to mention one song.
And I seem to be pressed to do exactly that right now for some bloody reason! I guess you are all to blame!

Are you talking your favourite Vintersorg song or least favourite?
In my opinion, Fångad Utav Nordens Själ is great song.Because the chorus is so catchy :headbang:

svältvinter said:
But i agree with you that Trance Locator easy qualifies as the least good V song. Its like something he just wrote for the sake of having a ending song of the album.

I actually think that's exactly what he did, writing an outro. The idea behind it is nice, can't say I see a point in it musically though.

Väinämöisen Viikate said:
Are you talking your favourite Vintersorg song or least favourite?
In my opinion, Fångad Utav Nordens Själ is great song.Because the chorus is so catchy :headbang:

Well, the thread was named Best Vintersorg song(s)? so i thought that was what it all was about? *confused*

But then I read the other replies and found, not that I was suprised, that this thread not only have gone OT but it has turned to the oposite of the intended! Well, it was bound to happen.

-Andreas (sincerely yours, since 1981)

svältvinter said:
I have always imagined you as being the biggest V fan around the world, i must say im suprised what you think about Jökeln and På Landet. I think they are two fantastic songs that both has a contrastpart in the song that really lifting them to new hights. Thats what i think Vintersorg is all about. But i agree with you that Trance Locator easy qualifies as the least good V song. Its like something he just wrote for the sake of having a ending song of the album.

Well as I wrote, I definitly like both songs, I just like them a tiny bit less than many other songs. I mean, you can't compare any of the just mentioned with masterpieces such as Norrland, Norrskensdrömmar, Hednaorden, Vildmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor, Urberget, Äldst Av Troner, Fångad Utav Nordens Själ etc. I could probably go on forever...