Best way of connecting PodXT for recording??

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect my PodXT for recording. I heard using the direct USB connection isn't the greatest. I have a Presonus Firebox that I can use. Should I just use the 1/4" outputs?? Thanks.

-joe

I've been using the quarter inch outputs with good quality cables.

edit: I'd use the USB connection if you can, I'm running it into a digi002, and as far as I know, Cubase can't use 2 interfaces simultaneously, so I can't do USB. I have tried the USB connection before, and it sounds great.

I just got podxt running with cubase after spending most of the morning fucking around with it insted of acually playing/recording. the only problem im having is getting a good recording level in cubase, the pod seems to be clipping alot or if i turn it down i can bring the level up in cubase??? the highest i got was just under 0dB ??? but at least now i know it can be done. any feedback would be appreciated

I've been reading a lot complaints on the Sonar board about using the USB for direct connect since you can only use 1 ASIO device at a time. Most people I've read are simply using the 1/4 outputs instead.

i should have pointed out that i only have a standard soundcard on my laptop so i assumed usb would be the better way for me.

Nitronium Blood said:

well using the usb could cause problems like clipping and stuff.
just like black neon bob, i only use the usb to update stuff etc.
i used it once to record with usb. but the signal sounded so weak.
and it could be you will have to run all the music through your podxt and it sound completly different and crappy.

i'd rather just plug my podxt straight into the pc from the leftout put.
sounds the best IMo and records the best IMO.

Is the POD XT usb driver asio only? Or are there mme or something as well? If I'd monitor through the analog outputs, latency introduced by for example sloooow MME drivers would not be an issue, and I can still run my Audiophile 2496 /w asio drivers in Sonar. Or am I on the wrong bike with a flat tire here?

TheStoryteller said:
Is the POD XT usb driver asio only? Or are there mme or something as well? If I'd monitor through the analog outputs, latency introduced by for example sloooow MME drivers would not be an issue, and I can still run my Audiophile 2496 /w asio drivers in Sonar. Or am I on the wrong bike with a flat tire here?

I don't know if this helps but there are 2 standard outputs as well as a headphone output, so you shouldn't run into a monitoring issue.

Genius Gone Insane said:
I don't know if this helps but there are 2 standard outputs as well as a headphone output, so you shouldn't run into a monitoring issue.

Thanks GGI, but I know that. :) I just wanna know if I can record by usb at all, or if I should just forget about it. Why? Don't ask. I just wanna know if i CAN do it in Sonar.

well im no expert, but a friend of mine couldnt get it to work properly in sonar and hes pretty good with the tech stuff.