Exodus guitar sound with Podxt?

Thrasher666

Oct 30, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. 1st post!!! Anyway.

I just got done programing drums for some songs I wrote and want to start recording guitars.
Is there a patch for the Podxt that would give you the same kind of sound from the latest Exodus CD? I'm also new to the Podxt just got it. No ext. packs :( but updated to latest software.

I own a 5150 combo amp that kills for metal! But, I live in an apartment.. I could use it at low volumes. I can't really get a good sound so low.

Any help would be great! Just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah, I have been playing around with the Podxt ALOT. So far I am not happy with it at all. I have Guitar Rig 2 and I think it sounds better so far... but still not what I like to hear. I'm looking for a tight sound. Nothing like my 5150 combo.... wish there was a direct out on it.

+1. I fucked with the XT live for about a year, using the JCM800, and TS808 combo. The best tone your gonna get out of it with out buying the Bogner model in the metal pack. Just back the gain on the JCM to about 1 or 2 oclock, put your settings on the tube screamer to 50, and adjust from there. I run the gain on the TS808 at aboot 9 or 10 oclock or 30 to 40 percent. The tone is for low to high boost kinda, and the drive you should start by dime ing that and backing off to taste. This should get you started with decent tone. OH the cab I use is the Line 6 4x12, 57 on axis, and direct setting.

I just bought the Metal Shop pack from Line6 last night. Gonna mess with it later today.

Gnash, thx for the tip/reply. I will try it out later. Yeah, Gary does have some cool ass riffs. Thrash all the way!

Hey Everyone, Thanks for the replies.

I must be doing something wrong with this Podxt..... or my ears are fired from testing for hours. I can not get a sound that I am happy with, even with the Metal Pack. I also downloaded a ton of patches all Metal of course and still not feeling it. I tried my Les Paul (Humbuckers), my Strat (all single coil) and my Telecaster just for kicks (Both). The Strat sounds best at this point but not the sound I'm looking for. I have been A/B 'ing the Podxt with the Exodus cd and I could get close but not close enough. :( It just don't get enough bite without having the gain cranked up then it's to muddy.

Going to try again today. Anyone have any suggestions or advice???

My one friend suggestted I should send the Podxt back and use my 5150 combo and screw the neighbors. :headbang: Easy for him to say, he lives with his parents. I wish it was that easy. I like my apartment.

The metal pack is not a quick fix but does have better tools than the standard amps. All of the PODXT-ites out there have had to spend a great time tweaking the thing to get good sounds out of them. Cutting the high end, backing off on the gain and presence, and ignoring "logic" when changing settings all work. Most user presets on Custom Tone suck...basically. In terms of mirroring someone else's tone...that's a very difficult exercise. Tone is usually in the hands of the player.

That being said, if you do a search on this forum there's plenty of tips on POD usage. Disabling the cab and using impulse responses instead can produce good results.....there's plenty of research to be had on this here forum re: those. Search is your friend.

Thrasher666 said:
I must be doing something wrong with this Podxt.....
Anyone have any suggestions or advice???

use my 5150 combo and screw the neighbors. :headbang:
:heh: You must be playing through headphones! You will not get a bitchin tone out of a tele or a single coil strat! Stick with the Paul! Check out that Bogner model!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: With the Tube Screamer, it will shred your face off!!!!!!:zombie:

if you look for a thread by mendel for opinions on his metal mix, he's posted a really really awesome patch for the podxt with metal pack

The bogner suck!!!

The best amp is the mesa diamond or something like that.

It´s the only metal amp wich have this "sound" everybody is looking for.
the second great amp is the low bottom or something like that. But it´s to FAT.

So buy the metalpack;):headbang:

XGabrielX said:
The bogner suck!!!

The best amp is the mesa diamond or something like that.

It´s the only metal amp wich have this "sound" everybody is looking for.
the second great amp is the low bottom or something like that. But it´s to FAT.

So buy the metalpack;):headbang:
FUCK******FUCK*********FUCK**********:heh:

I like my Bogner tone for $450.:heh: I have my pod set up for stereo practice combos in my bedroom, and for my live classic rock band! It's not hard to get a decent tone out of a pod! FUCK***********:heh:
Trying to emulate someone's tone will never work. The biggest factor of tone is in the player. I am DEFINATELY NOT LOOKING FOR THE SOUND EVERYONE ELSE IS LOOKING FOR! I hate everyone's MESA Dual Rec tone. I like clarity in my chunk. Not sloppy bottom! Really listen close to John Petrucchi's live tone. It just bothers me! Ok I've said alot. Every player should be different. Gary Holt is a good player to try to emulate!:heh: Too each his own, I'll shut up and play my guitar now!

I have had my PODxt for over a year, and I'm not joking, I JUST got a decent rhythm tone that I'm happy with.

Tweak, tweak, tweak, tweak, tweak, etc....

Gnash said:
:heh: You must be playing through headphones! You will not get a bitchin tone out of a tele or a single coil strat! Stick with the Paul! Check out that Bogner model!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: With the Tube Screamer, it will shred your face off!!!!!!:zombie:

Yes, I am using headphones AKG's. Last night I said screw the neighbors and played the Podxt out of my Event Bas 20/20 monitors and started making good progress. But this is not a solution to my problem. Because if I could make that much noise everyday I would have just been using my 5150 combo miked with a 57 and it would be 100 times better then this Podxt. I'm the one who's screwed now. :puke:

Well if the objective is Gary's tone. Youre gonna first need to steal his hands. Then you'll need a Peavey XXX amp, a good guitar with EMG's and a nice cab with vintage 30's. POD XT will not get you there at all. POD XT really is just a copy of good tone, not good tone in itself.

Colin