Best & Worst of 2002 (so far)

Best: Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Worst: uh, probably Korn... I got the new Down record yesterday and it's kinda dissapointing as well, not as instantly catchy as the original recording...

I'd say it's pretty obvious the best album for this year (and maybe even all time until their next album) is "A Night At The Opera" by Blind Guardian.

I also have high expectations from Dark Tranquillity's "Damage Done" (not out yet).

Worst: ?

I'm a bit freaked by all the Soilwork bashing - I was actually surprised at how amazing Natural Born Chaos is - in fact, I would list that as one of the BEST albums of this year. I also think Devin Townsend should stick to producing albums because he did a great job...

Night at the Opera is also an immediate classic. Just shy of being as incredible as Nightfall in Middle Earth....

Bolt Thower - Honor Valour Pride is great too.

The worst CD of the year for me is Star One by Ayreon. I mean, what the fuck is all that about? Very rarely do I repackage a CD and send it back, but I fell victim to some very deceptive reviews.

damn i cant remember what came out this year...the only 2 that come to mind(that i have) are arch enemy-wages of sin(well the us version came out this year anyways) and dream theater-6 degrees of inner turbulance. wages of sin is amazing and 6 degrees is very good as well, both in extremely different ways from each other. wages of sin has to be one of the best melodic death records ive ever heard, or for that matter, one of the best metal records ive ever heard, and 6 degrees has some really beautiful moments on it. ooo yeah, i almost forgot about tool-lateralus, which actually deserved its #1 billboard chart debut. although much softer than their other releases, this thing is progressive, different, and far too ambitious to be played on the radio, yet they still manage to make fans out of the mainstream kids as well. besides listen to that fucking drummer! i think they will one day be know as our pink floyd, im sure u people will disagree but oh well...

Originally posted by artificialreasons
damn i cant remember what came out this year...the only 2 that come to mind(that i have) are arch enemy-wages of sin(well the us version came out this year anyways) and dream theater-6 degrees of inner turbulance. wages of sin is amazing and 6 degrees is very good as well, both in extremely different ways from each other. wages of sin has to be one of the best melodic death records ive ever heard, or for that matter, one of the best metal records ive ever heard, and 6 degrees has some really beautiful moments on it. ooo yeah, i almost forgot about tool-lateralus, which actually deserved its #1 billboard chart debut. although much softer than their other releases, this thing is progressive, different, and far too ambitious to be played on the radio, yet they still manage to make fans out of the mainstream kids as well. besides listen to that fucking drummer! i think they will one day be know as our pink floyd, im sure u people will disagree but oh well...

I actually agree with you about Tool becoming something along the lines of Pink Floyd. They are very much an enigma, just like Pink Floyd was and still is. One minor complaint - Tool "Lateralus" came out in 2001.:p

Originally posted by Blind Tranquillity
I'd say it's pretty obvious the best album for this year (and maybe even all time until their next album) is "A Night At The Opera" by Blind Guardian.
seems pretty ambitious to call it the best album of all-time:rolleyes: , never could really get into those guys but ive got respect for 'em