Betcha Can't Play This

MetalSteph

Sep 14, 2001
From Blabbermouth

Guitarist Chris Broderick (JAG PANZER, NEVERMORE) has uploaded a "five-octave arpeggio" video clip that was done for Guitar World's "Betcha Can't Play This" DVD. Check it out at this location.

Chris has been playing guitar since he was eleven years old and has been teaching for the last 14 years. Styles range from classical, rock, blues, and jazz. He started taking lessons at 14 years of age studying guitar as well as voice, violin, and piano. Chris has a degree in classical guitar music performance at the University of Denver and the Lamont School of Music. He has performed in many master classes including ones given by David Russell, Benjamin Verdery, and his primary instructor, Ricardo Iznaola. In addition, Chris has taken classes such as jazz improvisation, chord voicing, advanced music theory, and sight-reading.

Laihoistheman2 said:
They actually came out with a DVD of all of them? i never saw this one in the magazine...

From what I heard, Chris recorded three segments for and upcoming issue of Guitar World and they used the other two for the mag/dvd, they passed on this one cause it was for a 7-string and the mag wanted clips that could appeal to the 6-stringers as well.

MetalSteph said:
From what I heard, Chris recorded three segments for and upcoming issue of Guitar World and they used the other two for the mag/dvd, they passed on this one cause it was for a 7-string and the mag wanted clips that could appeal to the 6-stringers as well.
Lol i doubt anyone that reads that magazine coupld play that anyway that magazine has got progressivley worse every month the only people i see getting it now are emo kids, i switching to BW&BK or Unrestrained myself. still pretty cool that they had that, although from what it seems they got rid of jeff loomis's column.

lol, jag panzer has a song called tempest :lol: awesome

holy shit... i love the taping sweeps, when i saw him do that shit at Jaxx I damn near pissed myself. :headbang:

I play the same model guitar. But no, I betcha I can't play it like that...

Most guitar mags pander to the beginners, it's always tabs of 'Cemetary Gates', 'Walk' and 'Raining Blood'. There isn't anything really difficult like this to work up to, which is why I never bother buying guitar mags.

Thats pretty slick, it's actually not REALLY that difficult.. It just looks like a bitch. Like any kind of "shred" arpeggio, it sounds far more difficult then it really is because of the huge intervals inbetween each note. But still, it'd probably take a good couple weeks to get that one down. I'm gonna work on that one now. :OMG:

'Nife [Spirit Crusher] said:
Thats pretty slick, it's actually not REALLY that difficult.. It just looks like a bitch. Like any kind of "shred" arpeggio, it sounds far more difficult then it really is because of the huge intervals inbetween each note. But still, it'd probably take a good couple weeks to get that one down. I'm gonna work on that one now. :OMG:

The problem for most people on something like this comes from the fact that most people do not possess adequate dexterity on their picking hand nor can they seperate the rhythms of the two hands. It's quite difficult.

FretsAflame said:
The problem for most people on something like this comes from the fact that most people do not possess adequate dexterity on their picking hand nor can they seperate the rhythms of the two hands. It's quite difficult.

Hmm, yeah. Thats true .. I probably sat in my room for a good few years trying to work out my kinks there, and I still have way to many. I'll never be anywhere NEAR that good. :lol: :lol: I'm just really lucky and naturally good at the legato style like Chris is doing there. My picking technique and my sweeping though, forget that. I suck at that stuff. :lol:

FretsAflame said:
And that my friend is why I took up keyboard :kickass: