Between The Buried And Me

annt

Jun 14, 2004
finland
I started this thread to tell everyone they should forget any possible prejudice and try out "Alaska" by Between the Buried And Me. One of the best releases in 2005, perhaps the whole decade. It takes a few listens though because of the complexity. I would describe the band as progressive grindcore, if it has to be labelled, which is kind of stupid, especially with a band this diverse. The closest comparison would probably be The Dilliger Escape Plan, but BTBAM has more beautiful melodic parts and "guitar hero" -solos, which kind of remind me of old Nintendo tunes.. :p Excellent musicianship combined with amazing compositions.

Oh yeah, and don't even think of mentioning metalcore, because this has nothing to do with it (even though their label has many crap metalcore bands).

Mumblefood said:
I'd say it has quite a lot to do with metalcore. Anyway i do like that album.

Well okay, maybe it has some similar elements, but the term does them no justice, since there is so much more to it. I'd say it's like labelling Opeth as black metal: you know, they're from scandinavia and have keyboards etc...
Anyways, to be honest I'm not even that familiar with metalcore, because it's quite unheard of in Finland (thank God!), but every distinctively "metalcore" band I've heard has been a crappy At the Gates-clone (with some slight hc-influence), which BTBAM definitely are not.
Further comparisons besides the Dillinger Escape Plan techical grindcore side, I'd say could be made to Mr. Bungle's diversity and Opeth's progressive song structures. I'm probably starting to sound a bit too excited, better stop before I'm building too high expectations to someone :)

I really enjoy Between the Buried and Me. Sometimes Tommy's scream (not death growls, those kick quite a bit of ass) gets to me. The guitars are fantastic, and the fact that they can really write songs (exceeding eight minutes at times) and stay interesting is most excellent. I am really not a big fan of metalcore (you know, there are some songs on Norma Jean's "Bless the Martyr, Kiss the Child" that really get me, something I get knocked for all the time...besides that particular release, it feels pretty lifeless), but I think BTBAM incorporates it perfectly.

Although I do not agree that Alaska is in the best realease of the decade, I do believe they are a band that is really worth checking out (more than once, it will probably not grab you the first time).

I've only heard a few songs from "Alaska" but for some reason I just couldn't bear to hear the rest...maybe I'll redownload.

I'll tell you this much though, "Silent Circus" was a real guilty pleasure for me when it came out a couple years ago. probably cried to it once or twice

I like Alaska better than Ghost Reveries, they are definitely a great band and seeing them with The Red Chord earlier this year was amazing, even though there were too many stupid hardcore kiddies.

I was hesitant to buy this album... mainly because of the band name to tell you the truth. it sounded like a band that should be on Sounds of the UNderground... but I finally bought this album and I defenitly would call it contender for album of the year... i actually liked it more than Ghost Reveries, Sideshow Symphonies and This Godless Endeavour... all albums that get non-stop praise this year... I'm not a big fan of hardcore music, but there is defenitly a lot more substance to these guys than any of their peers...and I think they are actually a band than transend genre anyway...

I highly recommend this album to fans of Opeth... a great combination of beauty and brutality... cant wait to check out the previous one.

Stimuli said:
I was hesitant to buy this album... mainly because of the band name to tell you the truth. it sounded like a band that should be on Sounds of the UNderground... but I finally bought this album and I defenitly would call it contender for album of the year... i actually liked it more than Ghost Reveries, Sideshow Symphonies and This Godless Endeavour... all albums that get non-stop praise this year... I'm not a big fan of hardcore music, but there is defenitly a lot more substance to these guys than any of their peers...and I think they are actually a band than transend genre anyway...

I highly recommend this album to fans of Opeth... a great combination of beauty and brutality... cant wait to check out the previous one.

Same thing with myself... I actually replied to remind that Opeth was on SOTU... :)

They rip off OPeth in every song, they're fucking retarded. Mix dream theatres guitar style with everything else from opeth but done shitty and you've got BTBAM No thanks, rather just listen to opeth

Black Rain said:
They rip off OPeth in every song, they're fucking retarded. Mix dream theatres guitar style with everything else from opeth but done shitty and you've got BTBAM No thanks, rather just listen to opeth

You're joking, right?

Black Rain said:
Why would I be joking? Compare Atonement's Blue's guitar solo and Skelkies, it's the same fucking thing.

Well, I can't hear any similarities between them, but whatever. Actually I just listened both songs, and I wonder how you can even think of that. Besides, it's quite strange to claim BTBAM to be an Opeth-ripoff, they play in a different style and their riffs and melodies are different, the only thing that is similar is the diverse, progressive song structures and excellent musicianship.

annt said:
Besides, Atonement doesn't even have a solo :err:

aar.jpg

You're definately missing out if you don't give Alaska a listen. I normally dislike metalcore, but BTBAM's first two albums (quite "metalcore" compared to their 3rd) are very good. Alaska shows that there actually is a considerable amount of talent in the younger bands out there. FYI: Alaska was done with a completely new lineup, other than the lead singer and lead guitarist.

BTBAM Aren't ripping anyone off.

Well then I meant hours of wealth, I mix them up a lot. Which ever is just guitar and mike singing.

Who eer said at the top that BTBAM is mre diverse you're a fucking weirdo:erk: