BFD 2 vs. Superior drummer....

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
hey guys!

simple question: i'm currently using BFD 2 custumized with my own beutiful setup and i got good recommendations about EZdrummer's Superior Drummer 2.

question is, is it better? is it worth the exausting work of custumizing a whole set again?

*i prefer this one answered mainly by people who experienced with both

thanks! Shay

Are you asking about toontrack ezdrummer or toontrack superior drummer 2? They are 2 seperate products. I wouldn't even compare bfd to ezdrummer. They are totally different.

I have both BFD2 and S2.0. It is a tie. Both of them need better stock kick drums. If you have the extra cash having both is good, but I wouldn't put it on the credit card. Listen around to for sound clips and youtube vids to figure out which expansion packs have the sound your looking for and go that direction.

Worth spending the time to set up a template and some kits? Hell yes.

What is it about BFD2 that you're not finding does the job? Or are you just looking for more drums?

I have both, and I love both, for different reasons. I work for FXpansion, so I'm happy to answer any questions you have on BFD2. I know Superior 2.0 very well too.

well don't get me wrong, i LOOOOOOOVE my BFD2 but i got some really good recommandations about the SD2.0 so i'm wondering if it really is THAT good?
and is it THAT much better to be worth the switch?

Well, they're both good at different things. I think the BFD2 effects totally own the effects in Superior, but I actually prefer the Metal Foundry snares to the stock BFD2 snares - but that is because I bring teh br00talz.

Functionality wise, there isn't much in it. BFD2 does diskstreaming, and Superior loads everything into RAM. I found Superior to be more of a RAM hog than BFD2 consequently. I'm not too keen on the Superior method of layering drums using X-Drums. They could've done it so much simpler in their keymapper, and made it easier to do... but X-Drums gets the job done I guess.

It's all about the samples at the end of the day. The Superior ones are recorded in different types of rooms, and thus sound different. Checkout the Toontrack demos for more on that.

Or you could just expand your BFD2 drum selection. I highly recommend Platinum Samples packs. They are all amazing. Also checkout BFD Heavy, which has a great Yamaha recording custom kit, which is really good for heavy music.

I have both and I like SD2.0 alot better. At the end, SD2.0 also takes less resources of your computer.

I have both and I like SD2.0 alot better. At the end, SD2.0 also takes less resources of your computer.

That's actually not true. SD2.0 takes way more RAM than BFD2 does. Because technologically, they're both doing different things. BFD2 relies more on the diskstreaming capabilities of your computer, so if you have a good drive like a Western Digital Caviar Black, you'll be able to stream just fine only using a couple of hundred MB of RAM.

SD2.0 takes up over a gig of RAM when I've got a full Metal Foundry kit loaded.

I don't particularly have a preference for diskstreaming, but it is lighter on the computer if you've got it setup correctly.