BIG LIQUID PREAMP EMULATION SHOOTOUT!

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Ok, here it is. I tracked a short guitar section for all 10 preamps included in the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Each tone is totally untouched, I just did it and exported it.

The only things I had to do is with the Pultec and a little with the UAD was to boost the gain on the pre as these preamps had a really low signal, especially the Pultec, it was about 1/4 the output of the other pres. Besides that any other slightly volume changes are in the preamp emulations themselves.

Heres the main 10 preamps along with a FLAT emulation, which is basically no preamp emulation for that clip.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/451140/Liquid Emulations.rar

I took 2 PAZ shots of 2 random preamps just to show there is slight character differences going on:

Preamp_shootout.jpg

Part 2
I tracked another 2 clips both with the Neve 1073 emulation however one of them has the harmonic dial on 1 and the other at around 10 out of a possible 15. It basically beefs up the signal with 1st 2nd and 3rd degree harmonic distortion. These clips I can really tell a difference.

The Link to this test is:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/451140/Hot and Cold Neve.rar

And I took a PAZ shot difference for this also:

Preamp_shooutout2.jpg

If you want to know the exact models which these emulations are based on:

Emulations-1.jpg

I don't have my reamp yet so ive tried to keep the playing as similar as I could throughout, hopefully the results will still speak from themselves.

PS: Before you say, no the Universal Audio isnt clipping, ive already checked. Perfectly good headroom on that signal so perhaps the pre just has that dirtyness to it?

I like your tone but I'll be honnest... I don't think any of those emulations make your tone significantly better or worst... It's useless imvho.

I like your tone but I'll be honnest... I don't think any of those emulations make your tone significantly better or worst... It's useless imvho.

It just gives the "character" of the preamp in question, not like any of them are gonna be like WOW I can't live without that!

I like the API and Neve emulations the most.
A mix of the neve's boom and the API's top end would be pretty perfect IMO.

The neve emulation with the added harmonics sounds really good too. A bit more boomy, but I likeee it.

I like the API and Neve emulations the most.
A mix of the neve's boom and the API's top end would be pretty perfect IMO.

The neve emulation with the added harmonics sounds really good too. A bit more boomy, but I likeee it.

Yeah I mixed the API and the Neve for that last demo I did, it seemed a good blend. I like the Neve's roundedness. I will probs do another clip with Neve + API both with added harmonics then a C4 to keep them in check.

:headbang:

All these Metallica riffs are making me nervous James, please don't tell me the old-school tone of your cab is gonna influence your writing style! :D Sounds good though man, except for the squelch of course, was this the TL speaker?

All these Metallica riffs are making me nervous James, please don't tell me the old-school tone of your cab is gonna influence your writing style! :D Sounds good though man, except for the squelch of course, was this the TL speaker?

Haha nah dont worry, every time I think about a riff to play...Tallica' is usually a safe bet. I wanted a few more chunky chords in this one.

Yup all TL :) Which you prefer anyway?

I prefer the flat and the manley.I think this preamps should work better with bass and vocals.Thanks for taking the time to test all this preamps.

I prefer the flat and the manley.I think this preamps should work better with bass and vocals.Thanks for taking the time to test all this preamps.

Yeah vocals would show them up much better, however im no vocalist so there is no chance of a shootout unless I find one wandering the streets haha :lol:

My pleasure :)

Ah right, I just got back from a paintball trip and am just about to take a seriously needed nap, but I'll listen later tonight!