Big Rock Drums - Donationware Samples

greyskull

Mar 22, 2006
As It's Still early in the year and everyone's probably still reeling from the pocket rape that is christmas; I'm offering to you my sneap friends, what i think are the best drum samples I've ever recorded.
I'm doing this Donationware (think Radiohead's in Rainbows, So please give what you want or nothing at all)
To My Paypal. - Greyskullstudios A T Mac Dot Com or PM me

download from here...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747294/Big Rock Kick.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747294/Big Rock Snare.zip

Here's the Nitty Gritty

Kick Close was the following chain...
D6 + Fet47 +Sub Kick - Neve 1073 - Otari Mtr90 MKii - SSL Alpha/Delta Link

Room was a comination of royer 121's coles 4038's and AKG 414's - Chandler Germanium And Focusrite Red - Absolutely Obliterating Tape - Tools

Snare was Audix i5+Akg 451+Shure 545 - API 3124 - Otari

Sounds really good man.
I've a curiosity: when you do multi dynamic samples like these how do you process the different "velocity"? I mean, when I compress the "cracked" snare hits, the same compressor settings are not good for the soft hits because the threshold for example should be different of course and moreover the compressor act in a different way...and also if I'm able to compress a soft hit, I probably get a sample that doesn't sound "glued" with the hard and crack samples..

Sounds really good man.
I've a curiosity: when you do multi dynamic samples like these how do you process the different "velocity"? I mean, when I compress the "cracked" snare hits, the same compressor settings are not good for the soft hits because the threshold for example should be different of course and moreover the compressor act in a different way...and also if I'm able to compress a soft hit, I probably get a sample that doesn't sound "glued" with the hard and crack samples..

Isn't that what a compressor is supposed to do?
act differently to hard and soft hits?
I normally set the threshold based on the harder hits... These samples have already been compressed a fair bit, but I tried not to go too mental.

Oh, I forgot to mention.
The gap at the beginning of the room mics is supposed to be there. it's the rooms natural pre-delay.

Isn't that what a compressor is supposed to do?
act differently to hard and soft hits?

Of course, but if the soft hit don't reach the threshold that works for a cracked hit, the soft hit is not processed at all.
If the samples are sligthly processed it can be a good thing but if you wanna create a very processed samples it can be a problem

Of course, but if the soft hit don't reach the threshold that works for a cracked hit, the soft hit is not processed at all.
If the samples are sligthly processed it can be a good thing but if you wanna create a very processed samples it can be a problem

That depends on the sort of compressor you're using.
That sounds more like a limiters behavior as opposed to a compressor; it will still be pulled up if it's below the threshold, but it depends if you're using the compressor as a dynamic control, or as a tone shaping tool, which I guess is what you're talking about .
Either way...
If I WAS going to do it that way,
I'd probably process setting the threshold for each dynamic layer!