Blabbermirror: Who the fuck are these guys?

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=71049

That press release is a real work of art. Exciting and unexpected, even. But I have never heard of this band. And I didn't realize orchestras provided "programming." ayyyy...

I love that "already made their place in history" paragraph.

And you know... "video game music"... I know I just seem like an old fucker thinking this "genre" is the most worthless thing ever... but why is it just all this stupid console game shit? Why the fuck can't anyone release a proper recording of those old Ultima songs?

So it takes a good bit of work and perseverence to be in The Royal Symphonic Philharmonic Orchestra (assuming it is what it claims, and isn't just Bob and his three pals from band class calling themselves something grand, heehee)... do these people get to, you know, sit this one out if they aren't into it or do you think nobody at all minds using all that training and practice to cover something off of "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind"?

Machinae Supremacy are a europower type of band. They are relatively well-connected with the c64 8-bit home computer scene (yes there is such a scene) and they've covered a pretty famous tune off of a Super Mario knock-off game for that platform, which some say is better than the original. It's named Gianna Sisters. That was their claim to fame, uh, 5 years ago when I first heard of them.

Their sound last time I checked was very digital and sleekly produced, with extended keyboard and guitar solos. Given their pedigree, their command of melody and harmony is at a high level (in ancient machines like the c64 getting anything worthwhile out of them trains one to work for content, not just shine), similar to a lot of europower bands. However I find them quite soulless and aesthetically empty. Shallow futurism and double drum.

Not worse or better than most europower. I am not interested in their orchestrated video game reproductions at all.

That press release is awful.

Indeed, MS sounds as slick as it gets. The singer is so artificial you think he's a robot or a character out of those videogames. Their lyrics are pretty offensive at times, dealing with the struggle to overcome opponents and a hostile environment. Odd in this context, especially with the other, fantasy-based nonsense on the disc.