Black Lion Audio introduces API 312 clone

Is that $299 with a power supply? If so that would be an awesome deal. If the price is without, then it's about on par with the others out there.

Yuck just noticed all the surface mount components. Probably how they are keeping the cost down. Still, I'm all up for a cheaper decent preamp.

Is that $299 with a power supply? If so that would be an awesome deal. If the price is without, then it's about on par with the others out there.

They say "This will be in a 1U 1/2 rack space format with an external supply", so it sounds like the PSU is included. Can't say for sure, though. But even without the PSU, I haven't seen a single pre-assembled 312 clone with a chassis out there for that price. DIY kits, sure, but add the labour and chassis and...

they also had a cool explanation on some things...

# Jesus Gomez
This is great considering what you guys did with the AGB compressor (33609). I previously read that you described the API as having a "very honky, nasty midrange because of its THD behavior." How will your clone fair with this description. Will you have some similarities to the original API but with the low end response of the Auteur?
Saturday at 1:42am

# Black Lion Audio
The THD is caused by two things: opamp behavior and transformer saturation behavior. The API opamp has a THD component that rises with frequency, and does so sharply after 1k. Thus the "honky" sound. The transformer tames some of that but then adds its own THD in the form of low frequency distortion from about 50Hz to 200Hz. The Auteur has the low frequency THD but the distortion above 1kHz remains low so it sounds smoother in the top end.
Saturday at 2:05am

holy molly. Gotta buy it.

But for this price it can't be the same quality level as SCA stuff. Too good to be true.

holy molly. Gotta buy it.

But for this price it can't be the same quality level as SCA stuff. Too good to be true.

yeah I think they went the china pre-assembly route to keep the cost down, hence all the surface mount stuff. Edcore transformers though, that's pretty cool.

Should be ok for the price, for those that don't want to shell out the cash for name brand.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's so bad about surface mount construction, and does it actually negatively impact the tone? :D

It's a cost cutting way of doing things, a machine puts the components on the board and then a machine heats everything up and the parts solder themselves in to place so to speak. It's one of the reasons why Behringer can make things cheaper than everybody else. If it's done right it won't make a difference. When it comes to repair time, good luck fixing it though :) That's why on most surface mount products they just toss the board and replace it with a new one.