Black Lion B12a or API 512

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
Ok so ive read a few things about both and really the audio clips online don't hold justice... So was wondering what you guys have heard or do? It's crazy good deal to get two B12a at the price of a API 512 on eBay... Gtrs tracking is what I really want to get this for as well as drums..

Personally is would go with the real deal and get the api's. But the seventh circle stuff is very badass for the price. so if you want to badass pre's for the price of the api then go with the seventh circle stuff to get you buy for awhile until you have the change for a pair of 512 pre's

The BLA 512 clone sounded noticeably better than the API in the clips I have heard. Wouldn't hesitate to get one, BLA is a reputable company that puts out solid units.

Yup...the BLA sounded more "FAT" or had more low end to my ears... but it doesn't mean it's better... i liked it more then the APIs though...

Think about what you have to spend total on the API's. You also need a lunchbox for them. What else could you get to improve your recordings for the difference in price? It's all about priorities. The API's are amazing, but if you've got mostly pro-sumer type equipment, then maybe you're better off rocking the BLA and picking up another shiny toy or treating your room or something.