API A2D & MBox question

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Ok so I'm just doing a bit of research on some things ... I'm fairly certain I'll be getting an API A2D sometime in the near future as right now I only have an MBox as my PT interface and really have no need for more than 2 inputs. Just running the API into the MBox via Spdif will be perfect so I get not only the pres but also great A/D conversion ... ok great now my question is this ... what do I do about D/A conversion? Should a be looking into a separate D/A unit to run with the API and how would I set that up ... or would the difference not really be worth it and maybe my $$$ put to better use such as additional room treatment, etc ...?

If a separate D/A really would be something worthwhile, can anyone suggest some units that would work with my configuration? I don't really have an idea of budget at the moment since I'm just starting to look into this but something along the "cheaper but really good" line would be great ... doesn't have the be great, just better than what I'm getting from the MBox

Thanks guys :kickass:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I use a PC so I guess any type of Apogee stuff is out right?

I have the same dilemna you have.

When I rec guitars, vocals, bass, synths... I use a Lavry AD10 converter plugged into a MOTU 828 MK2 (SPDIF), I get amazing quality that way (with a good pre too), even with reamping.
I think If you want to mix with hardware comps/EQs etc. a good DA can worth it (that's what I plan to do in a near future), but if you just do tracking/reamping it's IMO a waste of money.
Anyway, Mytek build amazing DA converters, and not that expensive !

Hey Thanks man

Any mixing I do is in the box ... so what you're saying is that unless I intend to use a lot of outboard gear when mixing that the D/A end of things is not that important? Or not as important as I think ... cause I'm not sure just what I'm missing out on relying on my Mbox's D/A

Get a great sounding cd. Rip it to your PC as a WAV. Listen to it through your Mbox. Does it still sound like a great cd?

If the answer is yes then your DA is fine IMHO.

Well I know you said you can't use Apogee, but I recently upgraded my D/A from a MOTU 828mkii to a Duet and was very surprised at the amount of difference I heard. Clearer highs, better stereo image. I was definitely impressed by the high quality converters in the Duet. I am guessing you will probably have the same significant difference from your Mbox when you upgrade.

@Trev - thats actually a really easy way of at least getting an idea if something is getting buggered up, thanks for the tip

@Egan - The benchmark looks great man but that might be a bit out of reach for me if I drop $1800 on the API. Now from what I can see of the API, it has the spdif out that I would be going into the Mbox with ... how would any apogee stuff work with that? I thought apogee only works with mac, unless I'm missing something. For instance, something like the mini-dac maybe

@crillemannen - wow, I thought Egan was helpful but you just took it to the next level