Urgent! API A2D won't connect to digi 003 via SPDIF

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've been fortunate enough to be given an API A2D to test over the weekend. The problem is I can't get any signal via spdif into Pro Tools.

Here is exactly what I have done:
- Connected the API spdif out to the spdif in on the 003 (checked about a dozen times) via rca cable?
- Set the API sample rate to 48K to match the pro tools session
- set the Pro Tool clock source to spdif (Setup\Hardware\Clock Source = S/PDIF RCA)
- The 003 SYNC SPDIF light is on

I've changed cables, restated pro tools and the api, the pre amp is working, I've tested it not going via spdif.

I've search high and low on the internet, read the api and pro tools setup guide, I can't figure it out.

Please, what have I missed?
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

i have issues with digital connections via adat

i usually set the clock source to optical (Adat in my case with my external pres)
i wont get any signal,
so i turn off the external pre
clock then reverts back to internal
press ok
then i turn the external pre back on
usually get sync pops and clicks
go back and reselect clock source optical

try see if that works?

glad its sorted! ive always had issues with digital connections with ,y 002, but ive found work arounds (like i posted) to resolve the adat one, its just a bit disconcerning, in the fact it should really work straight off (previous interfaces with converters have! :-s)

glad its sorted! ive always had issues with digital connections with ,y 002, but ive found work arounds (like i posted) to resolve the adat one, its just a bit disconcerning, in the fact it should really work straight off (previous interfaces with converters have! :-s)

I'm hoping it doesn't come back. I seriously spent hours trying to fix this.

RCA cables can be funky when used for digital. A real SPDIF cable is built to a standard and tends to work better. I used to have the same issues, bought a real cable, and problems vanished.

Thanks guys, I was totally freaking out because I've been given a couple of days to test it before committing to buy. Still no idea what's changed, seems rock solid now. I will buy a better spdif cable anyway, after doing a bit more research on spdif and pro audio devices I'm seeing a bit of a pattern with low quality cables.