Black March?

Vossyrus

Apr 25, 2007
Canada
Anyone planning on boycotting the entertainment industry this March?

ACTA has been passed in many countries and it seems that SOPA and PIPA have been halted, at least for now. And combating music piracy is one thing but I'm surprised that hardly anyone seems to care about the larger picture, like internet control and censorship, and the potential harm that may come of all this.

I assume that people here are aware of the issue because you're all regular internet users and music fans. What are your thoughts?

http://black-march.com/

I posted on this. There is ACTA and TPP, which are supposedly both worse than SOPA/PIPA, on an international level.

It looks fairly obvious to me that SOPA/PIPA were a distraction while the treaties got the backdoor treatment.

I've essentially boycotted the entertainment industry long ago. The real problem isn't the industry though as much as it is the levers of government that are available to the highest bidder.

I'm not sure how the authors of ACTA expect for the law to hold up. There's no jurisdiction unless Congress passes it and I don't see that happening. Plus, the current Supreme Court has expressed their opinion on this and won't hear a case on this topic.

The entertainment industry are shooting themselves in the foot by not changing with the times and finding new ways to meet their customer's desires. What happened to the profit motive? They should pay close attention to both Netflix and Kodak to see what happens when you adapt and what happens when you become static.

I don't see why they spend more on lobbying than on anti-piracy measures.

Either way, I'm participating in Black March. I've already stopped pirating altogether. I can't say I've got much more motivation to spend money to get stuff.

I only ever buy music, and that's almost always used, so I guess I've already been contributing. I guess I'll just make sure I don't go to see any movies.