Black Xmas 2006: Sat. Dec 23rd, in Toronto

Brutal!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have a big basement that some of the bands could still play in? I hate to see TGER come up and not even play. What a bummer!

Well this is very fucking unfortunate. I can’t say I didn’t expect something like this to happen though. I’ve heard nothing but sketchy things about this venue. We even voiced our concerns about the venue 2+ weeks ago. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Now I have to get a hold of all my friends from the Barrie area who were coming down. I feel worst for The Green Evening Requiem who drove an insane distance, dealt with our crazy border more than once, paid for a hotel and then was given this news on the day of the show. Horseshit.

Right now I need 100 beers. Exactly 100.

The part of this that I feel the worst about is the guys from The Green Evening Requiem, who drove 10 hours + in the rain from Philadephia, PA, and had to fight with the border to get into Canada, after they were turned away once. We've been corresponding with these guys for the last 2 years leading up to this show, and we were really looking forward to meeting them, sharing a stage with them and drinking together.

The next guy I feel bad for is Shawn, our new guitarist, who's been jamming and rehearsing with us constantly during the last few months, who would have been playing his first Woods show with us tonight. He'll have to wait until next year.

We all make sacrifices by spending our money, time and effort to be able to play just a few shows like this each year, and it's always such a discouraging shame when things like this happen, especially on the day of the show, and especially at this time of the year when we could have otherwise made plans to 'go home' days earlier to spend time with friends and family. No more xmas shows for WoY.

We don't need to place the blame here, but this one last cancelled show changes a lot for Woods of Ypres concerning how we will choose to do business in the future. We've been considering it for a while, but this last cancellation confirms it. 2007 will bring better ways for Woods of Ypres. As of this morning, the gears are already turning out new ideas.

To quote an upcomming lyric from Woods 3:

"This is the end of tradition."

Hey, we're in Toronto, we want to play, and we'll play ANYWHERE. everyone is getting very down about this situation, but The Green Evening Requiem refuses to quit! went through hell yesterday to be here, but we're having a BLAST!

So...let's set up a show. it doesn't matter where. we can play in a house, in a rehearsal space, in a parking lot...who cares?! let's play and have a great time. we have a bunch of bands, and everyone has been very supportive of us and of each other, and we appreciate that. we'll do whatever we have to. we have a car, we have some gear, and we have merch. let's make it work!

they refused to play? ugh. i won't ask why. it just sucks. just enjoy Toronto, man. I loved it when I saw the Day of the Equinox show. keep your head up! at least you still have a band to play in

At least we got together to eat and get drunk at our appartment together!

Green Evening, Bianca and I:

GreenEvening_001.jpg

GreenEvening_002.jpg

On this night of cancelled shows, our American friends drank many-a-Canadian beers at our place, and impressively, easily put away bottles of the heavy Quebec brew "La Fin du Monde"! Good job!

Three American's Hi-Fiving a Canadian at the end of the night:

GreenEvening_005.jpg

We didn't get to play a show together, but we got drunk, watched Dethklok, and had a good night anyway! :kickass:

(We got so drunk, even this last photo came our blurry). :loco:

thanks David for your hospitality, we really appreciate it. it was good to finally converse with you in person.

my apologies to those of you who e-mailed us on saturday and said you were heading down to see us at the last minute show that we booked. i hope you got the cancellation notice on time!

we will definitely return to Toronto!

that's right, a successful return will be in the works.

as for now our next destination is springfield, virginia to open for Enslaved and Dark Funeral.

anyone in the states or interested in lower priced tix should contact us at greenevening@gmail.com

after that, the new album is our priority so keep your ears open.

-shane

the green evening requiem

Hi Dave (and Sarah),

Merry Christmas and great pics! Thanks for having us over, we had a great time. The beer was awesome, and the food was delicious.

Cheers :kickass:
Joe and Bianca