Blackmetal mix

Sounds good on my headphones !
Only thing I was noticed on first listning, were the drums seemed kinda overpowering/upfront in the mix compared to the other instruments.. but im not totally sure about, might just not be used to this kind of sound atm ;)

Im in office on shitty headphones, but they usually have more mid range, but even with them i think guitars are too dark for BM. They need more presence. If you are after DB sound then kick is not clicky enough. if you search on the forum there was a collection of kicks and one was DB, so you can use it.

Sounds very good. The drums seems a bit compressed but it´s normal in this kind of sound. The guitars coud have more body but yeah it´s too hard to make them cut in the mix because of the strings.

Thanx for quick replies:) Yes, I was thinking about more presence for guitars. Well, maybe more midrange or maybe even less reverb will be the way.

And mybe someone would like to know something about the stuff used.

Drums are played on pads except hihat and ride - those are closely miked with pair of shure sm81. For samples I use Battery 3.
Guitars are played through 100wat tube amps - Rozdall and ESH with 4x12 cabs - some Laney with greenbacks and ESH with cellestion vintages. Miked with shure sm57 close and direct on the middle of the speaker and with shure sm81 direct and in some distance, blended together in the mix.
Bass is played through Hartke hybrid (both tube and solidstate) amp and 4x10 Laney cab. Miked with shure sm81 and blended with line output.
Vocal miked with shure sm57 and sm81.
Everything recorded in the living room:) through Apogee Mini-me two channel preamp and AD into Cubase 4 Studio.
Mixed with UAD dsp cards, NI Komplete and some freeware plugins, with Presonus Firebox interface and monitored via Adam P11A and Sennheiser HD280Pro headphones.
Synths are from NI Komplete and EWQLSO Gold.

Yes, after some time I hear, that there is definitelly some place for more midrange in guitars, and even more click for kick:) And maybe the overall mix shoul be less compressed, now it's getting a bit flat. I'll post corrected mix tomorrow. Thanx for replies...

Ease off on the compression on the drums a little bit.
For kick and snare and toms I rarely use more than 4:1 ratio and no more than -5db being taken off.
OH's maybe about the same, but room mics you can fucking smash to your hearts content.
I reckon once you've got a bit less comp on the drums going on, this mix will open up tenfold.

This song is way better than anything done by Cradle of Fags, but I still wouldn't call it black metal.

As pointed out by Dodo, the drums are all over the place. The pumping is making things a bit too fatiguing. And right you are, there's plenty of room for a little midrange from the guitars.

Oh yes, the new mix is an improvement though I can still here the cymbals pumping a bit. The guitars needs way more space.
You're on the right track, though! :headbang: